SUPERVISOR: Chief Financial Officer, with dotted line to the Chief Operating Officer
ACCOUNTABLE TO: President and Chief Executive Officer
Shift Hours: This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., may require occasional early and late hours as needed, weekends, and support during annual events like the Equal Opportunity Awards Dinner and Annual Meeting.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Urban League of Portland’s mission is to help empower African Americans and others to achieve equality in education, employment and economic security. The Accounting Assistant I will assist with daily financial and administrative activities and provide overall operational support to the organization. The incumbent will help maintain the organization by ensuring that internal processes are efficient, current, and followed. The individual hired for this position will adhere to all of the Urban League of Portland’s policies and support the goals of the organization, including by maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive information.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Contributes to the Urban League’s mission, commitments, goals, and to the team effort by performing the following duties with a high-level of integrity and professionalism:
Accounting & Finance Support
- Verify the accuracy of invoices (assuring proper authorization and correct amount) and other accounting documents or records. Reconcile records with internal staff, external vendors, or customers. Investigate questionable data and recommend actions to CFO to resolve discrepancies.
- Update and maintain accounting journals, ledgers and other records detailing financial business transactions (e.g., disbursements, expense vouchers, receipts, and accounts payable).
- Enter data into QuickBooks accounting system. Accounts Payable, Cash Receipts, Bank Adjustments.
- Prepare vendor checks; input check requests into accounting system; print checks and attach to payment requests.
- Compile data, prepare a variety of reports, and verify financial reports, as needed.
- Process bi-weekly payroll through Paychex payroll processing system (PPS). Entering time sheet data into PPS, reconciling to batch summary sheet, transmitting payroll to PayChex, etc.
- Maintain leave accrual records.
- Reconcile credit card statements; prepare credit card summary and payment package; submit credit card package to CFO & CEO for payment authorization; submit credit card package to Treasurer for payment authorization.
- Prepare bank deposits, general ledger postings and statements. Review bank statements and reconcile accounts in a timely manner.
- Maintain checking account balance.
- Assist in monthly and year-end closing.
- Front Office Support as requested. Answer a multi-line phone system in a professional and efficient manner, including by screening calls in order help the caller or to direct the call to appropriate staff person.
- Greet and notify staff of guests, clients or vendors. Represent the Urban League when speaking to individuals and organizations that are interested in learning more about getting involved with the agency.
- Maintain current and complete Human Resource files for staff and volunteers, in collaboration with program managers, to ensure tax and background forms are processed upon hire, that annual reviews occur and, all relevant files are up-to-date.
Contribute to the overall team effort by maintaining a positive attitude and completing other duties as assigned.
Possible other duties and responsibilities
- Record individual and business donations and contributions in fundraising database, ensure donors are thanked in a timely fashion. Ensure that correspondence, including thank you notes and membership renewal letters, and messages to volunteers, supporters and funders is timely and accurate.
- Maintain and update the organization-wide calendar, Staff Roster, Phone Tree, and Organizational Chart.
- Ensure all office equipment is fully operational, including filled with paper, ink and toner.
- Provide operational support, as needed, for all programs.
- Update a Community Resource Database and Manual with resource eligibility criteria, agency contact, and contact information.
- Maintain all internal documents, including version control, including but not exclusive to employee handbook, operations manual, and safety and disaster planning.
- Assist in executing the annual Equal Opportunity Dinner (EOD), Annual Meeting and other events.
- Assist with recruiting and supervising Administrative interns and volunteers.
- Oversee day-to-day facilities concerns, including communication with building maintenance and PCRI.
- Fundamental understanding of accounting procedures and processes. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks, general understanding of banking procedures and related activities.
- Effective writing, speaking and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and accurately with close attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Creative, result-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, and able to manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Ability to assist in managing the employee benefits and insurance process, petty cash reconciling and statement preparation.
- Ability to manage and meet goals from a fiscal management perspective.
- Ability to operate and to train others to use a multi-line telephone system.
- Experience working with accounting systems in non-profit organizations.
- Minimum two year Associates college degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience with general business operations, accounting, banking, insurance and the benefits process.
How to apply: The Urban League is always looking for qualified, committed people, who are interested in helping others and in building a stronger community. If you would like to be a member of the Urban League of Portland team, please submit your resume and a cover letter that specially highlights your experience and qualifications to gro.xdplunull@tnemtiurcer.
About the Urban League of Portland: Established in 1945, the Urban League of Portland is one of the oldest African American service, civil rights and advocacy organizations in the region. We are part of a network of over 80 National Urban League Affiliates across the country and are recognized as one of the leading voices for African Americans and others in Oregon and Southwest. We are a key coalition-builder amongst other organizations, and work extensively with both traditional and emerging groups, the faith-based community, businesses, and other organizations, including those serving immigrants and refugees. The Urban League of Portland’s mission is to empower African Americans and others to achieve equality in education, employment, health, economic security and quality of life. Our programs include a distinctive blend of direct services, organizing, outreach, and advocacy. We offer workforce services, community health services, summer youth programming, senior services, meaningful civic engagement opportunities, and powerful advocacy.
Equal Opportunity Statement: The Urban League of Portland is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
COMPENSATION: Begins at $15 per hour, depending on relevant skills and experience.