About BEF’s Business Development Group
Consisting of the Chief Development Officer, Director of Environmental Commodites, Director of Strategic Partnerships, and Partnership Development Representative, BEF’s business development group is responsible for revenue generation for all of BEF’s programs: Environmental Commodities (RECs, Offsets, WRCs), Business for Water Stewardship campaigns such as Change the Course and Promise the Pod, and BEF’s k-12 energy education program CE: Clean Energy Bright Futures. BEF’s revenue is a diverse mix of service contracts, environmental commodities sales, consulting contracts, and philanthropic funding. Working both independently and collaboratively, team members achieve revenue goals by developing business relationships through conferences, speaking engagements, direct outreach, and referrals.
About this Position
Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Partnership Development Representative works as a member of the development team to identify and secure new corporate, utility, and philanthropic partners and drive new mission-aligned revenue for the organization. This position has flexible work hours with occasional evenings required.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a candidate who as a proven track record of of curating and developing trusted relationships with prospect decision makers. You will effectively qualify prospective partners for their ability and interest in championing and allocating funding for BEF’s suite of solutions, enjoy reaching out and spending time with new people, and be fearless about asking for business. Your ability to think and adapt in the moment, make decisions and move forward, and navigate ambiguous situations will contribute to your success in closing new business.
Required Skills & Qualifications
• 5 years experience in a business development role
• 3 years experience working with corporate sustainability, fundraising, or CSR professionals
• Ability to build and foster partnerships with a variety of stakeholders including funders, grantees, contractors, and industry leaders
• Proven ability to successfully manage a sales cycle from introduction to closing new business
• Demonstrable success networking with influencers and thought leaders and developing new strategic relationships
• Proven ability to develop and maintain strong, trusting internal and external relationships
• Demonstrable ability to design, write, and deliver presentations
• Experience working with or ability to quickly learn CRM and ERP systems to track customer relationships and create proposals, sales orders, contracts, and other business documents
• Proven ability to work as a collaborative team member while still being comfortable working autonomously
• Proficiency with software such as MS Office, G Suite and relational database or program management software
• Ability to embrace new challenges in a rapidly growing and changing work environment
• Ability to demonstrate and provide examples of continuous personal development and improvement in each of the essential functions
Essential Functions & Specific Responsibilities
Candidates must possess the ability to perform essential functions and specific responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develop, prepare, and manage lists and outreach strategies to identify new leads and prospects
• Present and sell BEF’s suite of programs, products, and solutions to new potential clients as an authority on BEF’s capabilities
• Identify speaking and presentation opportunities at conferences or other events
• Prepare proposals, presentations, negotiate contracts
• Actively listen to and engage prospects, identify needs and goals, provide education and match the BEF product or service that best meets the customer need or goal
• Provide customers with appropriate language, claims and guidance for public-facing materials such as sustainability reports, publications, award nominations or marketing materials
• Proactively contribute to continuous improvement of the development team by providing input on products, marketing strategies, and/or process improvements
• Contribute to meeting quarterly and annual revenue targets set for the development team
• Maintain prospect and customer data in ERP and CRM systems (NetSuite; Insightly)
• Travel up to 35% of the time
Environment & Physical Requirements
BEF offices are located in downtown Portland, with open workstation floorplan and ability to reserve conference rooms for meetings and phone calls. We have a break room and staff lounge for lunch and casual meetings. Our building amenities inclue a small fitness gym with shower facility and a bike room with wall racks and a repair station. The building has an attached parking structure (payment required). The Partnership Development Representative may travel up to 35% of the time throughout the Pacific Northwest region; therefore, a valid driver’s license is required.
Email the following materials to gro.f-e-bnull@sboj by July 3, 2019.
Email subject line must include the position title.
A complete application will include:
1. Cover Letter
3. List of 3 references: name, title, relationship, phone number and email address
Please send the three documents as separate attachments in MS Word or PDF format. Documents in other formats may not be considered. Salary range will be shared with qualified applicants.
Application does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment.
Please make all inquiries to gro.f-e-bnull@sboj.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.b-e-f.org/why-bef/careers/ →