Catlin Gabel School seeks to employ the best qualified individuals from available applicants and to provide them with opportunity for advancement in a manner that does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal equal employment opportunity laws or regulations.
The School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Position Title: Beginning School Assistant
Department: Beginning School/After-School Programs
FTE: 1.0 (Non-Exempt)
Reports to: Beginning School Head and Director of After School Programs
The Beginning School Assistant supports teachers and children in the classroom, outdoors, and in specialist classes. The assistant works in After School Programs before and after school and on days when regular classes are not in session.
• Assist with supervision of children in the classroom, outdoors, and in specialist classes
• Assist with preparation and care of classroom materials
• Assist with care and maintenance of the classroom environment
• Relieve Kindergarten Teaching Assistants during breaks
• Provide careful and concentrated supervision of children to ensure safety and learning
• Provide an inclusive, caring environment with respect to children’s individual differences
• Communicate regarding children’s day to teachers
• Provide care before and after school and on days when regular classes are not in session
• Pursue professional learning opportunities, including 15 hours of professional development every year
• Attend orientations, staff meetings, and training sessions if assigned
• Maintain current Child Care Division Central Background Registry, Food Handler, CPR/First Aid certifications, and professional development hours in Oregon Registry Online (ORO)
The Beginning School Assistant works from 7:00am-3:30pm on days when there are classes or child care at Catlin Gabel. Assistants also work the week before the school year begins and the week after it ends. The Beginning School Assistant spends most of his/her time in Beginning School interacting with children and staff, and maintaining the classroom environment. Each day, assistants spend time outside with children.
The Beginning School Assistant has daily contact with children, parents, teachers, the Head of Beginning School, the Director of After-School Programs, and After-School Program staff. Some interactions include confidential information.
• AA in education or related field or equivalent combination of training and experience
• Experience implementing activities for young children in childcare and/or educational settings
• Enrollment in Oregon Office of Child Care’s Central Background Registry
• Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
• Food Handlers certificate and current CPR and First Aid certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Knowledge of developmentally appropriate activities for children and knowledge of child development
• Ability to create positive, professional relationships with parents, caregivers, and colleagues
• Excellent conflict management skills
• Cultural competency, ability to interact with a diverse array of people and foster inclusivity
• Ability to work as a team member: The ability to problem-solve, compromise, collaborate, be flexible, and take direction when necessary
• Computer Skills: Proficient with Word, Outlook, and Google Drive
• Mobility sufficient to move about the campus and assure the safety of young children
• Ability to communicate with children, colleagues, and families
• The ability to occasionally lift 30-50 pounds and to accomplish frequent bending, squatting, stooping and kneeling
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT (applicants must apply via the provided link to be considered): https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=224
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=224 →