Catlin Gabel School seeks to employ the best qualified individuals from available applicants and to provide them with opportunity for advancement in a manner that does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal equal employment opportunity laws or regulations.
We have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work as educators. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming community, and we know our school’s success is due in large part to the hard work and dedication of our passionate employees.
Catlin Gabel School seeks an innovative, experienced, and progressive educator to lead and inspire its Middle School community of teachers and students. This is a senior administrator position, working closely with the Head of School and fellow division heads and administrators to implement Catlin Gabel’s strategic plan and educational programs. The Head of Middle School is responsible for fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment based on progressive education principles of inquiry, experience, serving the whole student, and educating for democracy. The Middle School at Catlin Gabel is a dynamic learning community of 188 students and 30 teachers and staff that prepares students for ongoing education and life. A host of innovative divisional programs include community engagement, global and outdoor education, athletics, robotics, and math and science team competitions.
- Leads the Middle School in aligning curriculum, programs, and policies with the school’s progressive mission and strategic plan.
- Selects faculty and coordinates faculty duties in and out of the classroom.
- Directs the professional learning and evaluation programs for all Middle School faculty and staff and specific cross-divisional faculty.
- Oversees the development, alignment, and evaluation of curriculum in collaboration with the instructional leadership team of the school.
- Partners with the Director of Inclusion and Outreach to promote an inclusive and culturally responsive curriculum, community, and culture in the Middle School.
- Supervises preparation, planning, and enrollment in student courses and programs.
- Oversees the development of the Middle School schedule and allocation of learning, social, and play spaces.
- Develops and maintains community expectations designed to reinforce positive and respectful student behavior.
- Maintains open communication between parents and school through regular meetings with Parent-Faculty Association groups and through written and in-person information and presentations.
- Prepares and controls divisional budget. Participates in and contributes to all-school budget discussions and decisions.
- Directs and supervises safety policies and practices for students, faculty, and staff.
- Works with the Director of Enrollment Management, faculty, and prospective families to ensure a diverse and well-qualified student body in the Middle School.
- Partners with division heads and the enrollment management team to ensure effective student transitions, retention, and placement.
- Supervises or coordinates other educational or personnel matters which may be delegated by the Head of School.
- Shares collective responsibility with other division heads for faculty assessment, curriculum, and school programs, on and off campus, during and outside of the school day.
SCOPE OF WORK
Considerable autonomy is given in developing programs and hiring personnel.
Directly responsible for supervision of the Assistant Head of the Middle School, Middle School Counselor and Learning Specialist, and all Middle School faculty and staff.
The Middle School Head facilitates and coordinates faculty meetings, works with individual students and student groups, leads meetings with parents, and represents the school in a variety of public settings.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Communication skills
- Cross-cultural skills
- Managerial skills
- Change management skills
- Ability to manage group dynamics
- Supervision, evaluation, and coaching skills
- Technology skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
BA or BS from an accredited college or university required; Master’s preferable. Knowledge of progressive education and experience as a teacher and administrator in grades 6-8 is desirable.
Twelve-month position, with breaks that follow the academic calendar plus approx. 4 weeks of vacation during the summer. Office and campus environment. Additional time is required beyond a normal work day or week for evening and some weekend meetings and gatherings.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=250 →