Catlin Gabel, an independent pre-kindergarten-12th grade school, is seeking an Upper School Spanish teacher beginning August 2018. Catlin Gabel believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the school’s success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his or her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
The School seeks to employ the best qualified individuals from available applicants and to provide them with opportunity for advancement in a manner that does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal equal employment opportunity laws or regulations.
Position Title: Upper School Spanish Teacher
Department: Upper School
FTE: 1.0 (Exempt)
Reports to: Upper School Head
This is a full-time position. The exact teaching responsibilities will be determined later in the spring. The ideal candidate will have the ability to teach novice through advanced Spanish in a secondary school setting.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Native or near native fluency in Spanish since classes are predominantly conducted in target language.
• Efficient at using technology (familiarity with learning management systems, managing audio/video files for instruction and assessment, Google Education suite, etc.) as teaching tools.
• Master’s degree preferred in Spanish or Spanish literature.
• Two years teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
• Knowledge of cultural products and practices of Spanish speaking communities
• Experience with proficiency-driven curriculum design and familiarity with the ACTFL framework (world-readiness standards, proficiency guidelines, performance descriptors, can-do statements and 21st-century skills). Any ACTFL-sponsored training or certification is highly desirable (OPI, WPT, AAPPL).
• Full-time teaching as assigned.
• Write comments, conference with students and parents and assign grades for courses based on the evaluation calendar established by the Upper School.
• Attend faculty, department, and curriculum meetings, and Upper School assemblies.
• Understanding of and experience with experiential education, backward design approach to curriculum design, teaching for proficiency, project based learning
• Advising duties as requested.
• Supervise or work on extracurricular activities as assigned by the division head.
• Communicate effectively with parents as a partner in their child’s learning experience.
• Seek opportunities to expand the limits of one’s own professional knowledge and ability.
• Work with other members of the department in curriculum development.
• Demonstrate interest in engaging in experiential or service learning with students and colleagues. Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining professional working relations with employees, applicants, visitors, co-workers, supervisor and the Catlin Gabel community.
This is a vital part of the position with a heavy percentage of time being devoted to students. Each teacher has several periods per day to interact with both students and teachers. There is considerable interaction and communication with parents.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
Primary skills related to sufficient command of knowledge in the specific field. Subject knowledge coupled with sound pedagogical methods. Demonstrated ability to:
• Connect with, interest, and motivate students.
• Use knowledge of subject matter accessible to all students.
• Actively engage students and bring out their best.
• Facilitate thought-provoking discussions that extend students’ understanding.
• Use nontraditional teaching methods.
• Utilize technology skills and knowledge in teaching.
• Maintain flexibility and spontaneity in teaching.
• Build rapport with students, balancing the roles of teacher, mentor, and friend.
• Exchange information about student learning with students, parents, and colleagues in ways that improve understanding and support academic progress.
• Design active and engaging curriculum (teaching without textbooks)
• Integrate curriculum and provide connectedness for learners.
This is a faculty position with an academic year schedule. The Upper School is housed in several buildings designed to provide a comfortable, spacious, and attractive atmosphere for learning. Ability to lift 20 lbs. and walk between buildings on uneven terrain.
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT (applicants must apply via the provided link to be considered): https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=210
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=210 →