ChickTech is a national nonprofit dedicated to retaining women in the technology workforce and increasing the number of women and girls pursuing technology-based careers. ChickTech currently serves girls and women in 20 cities and is expanding to increase the number of cities with a ChickTech presence.
Our ChickTech: High School program offers hands-on workshops, mentoring and community encouragement to help young women build confidence, and recognize and celebrate their individual potential as future technology leaders. ChickTech: Career events, including the ACT-W conference, are focused on creating community among women and providing them with the support they need, whether career-focused, technical, or emotional and social.
ChickTech is looking for a full time person to support our conferences (ACT-W locals and National). These conferences are critical to ChickTech, in that they fulfill a portion of our mission, build local and national partnerships, and raise operating and program funds. This person will work with local volunteer-led chapter teams to put on local conferences, create templates and best practices to improve conferences, and lead our national conference team. In 2017, ChickTech ran seven ACT-W local conferences across the country and is currently gearing up for its first ACT-W National conference in April 2018.
- Planning and event management
- Serve as a spokesperson for ChickTech’s mission, vision, and community
- Create templates, project plans, marketing materials, trainings, budgets, and best practices
- Work with Development Director to secure sponsors and align fundraising strategies across ChickTech programs
- Build strong partnerships with mission aligned organizations and events
- Build vendor, partner, and sponsor relationships across multiple locations
- Help to craft sponsorships that fit the needs of both sponsors and ACT-W
- Review/craft contracts with vendors and sponsors as needed
- Work with volunteers to create new ACT-W artwork annually
- Find and maintain software that makes conference management “easy”
- Create budgets and financially manage each conference
- Work with Marketing Manager to create cohesive marketing strategy across ChickTech’s programs
- Meet with and train chapters interested in running ACT-W to ensure readiness
- Help to find and train local volunteer ACT-W Conference Managers
- Ensure that each conference is in alignment with ChickTech’s mission, vision, and community
- Work collaboratively to support local teams to:
- Ensure a positive, smooth, impactful, and inclusive local conference
- Source and confirm venue and dates at least 6 months in advance and work for local ACT-W events
- Craft a budget
- Set up website for each conference annually
- Create plan and define volunteer operations needs annually including roles, number of volunteers needed, volunteer recruitment plan, and volunteer recognition strategies
- Develop and deepen relationships with new and current partners, sponsors, and mission allies
- Co-build marketing strategies alongside ChickTech’s marketing & events team
- Secure speakers with inclusion of all community members (underrepresented community members and people of all genders) in mind
- Support April 2018 conference while training to take over all aspects of ACT-W National
- Own all aspects of planning and event management including:
- Choose venues and dates
- Create budget and set fundraising goals
- Oversee speaker programming and logistics
- Work with hotels to secure room blocks
- Build, lead, and manage volunteer, staff, intern, and contract team
- Oversee venue, food, layouts, and other logistics
- Oversee website and app
- Sponsorship fulfillment, coordination, and hospitality
- Choose vendors and maintain vendor relationships
- Coordinate merchandise, as needed
- Registration & customer serviceEvent marketing
- Passionate about gender equity
- Stellar organizational acumen
- Great interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive project owner
- 3+ years of strong conference planning experience
- Demonstrated success in sponsorship sales
- Conference budgeting and financial management skills
- Familiarity with relevant technology tools
- Strong volunteer management skills
- Community-building and collaborative work style
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities/events
- Ability to travel frequently
This position is housed in the Portland HQ office at 921 SW Washington Street Suite 500 and reports to the Development and Communications Director.
ChickTech actively recruits persons of diverse backgrounds and supports the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive. People of diverse backgrounds, including diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status, are encouraged to apply.
Wages & Benefits
This position is salaried at $55,000. As this is a position that works with volunteers to run events that are often on weekends, some evening and weekend work is necessary.
ChickTech will cover 100% of health insurance premiums for the employee and family. Cell phone stipend and parking/transit stipend (if working out of the Portland office) are provided. Unlimited PTO is offered.
Frequent travel will be required.
All applications received before Wednesday, January 10 at 5pm will be reviewed. We will only review applications submitted on time through this system. If you know someone at ChickTech, feel free to reach out to them and get a recommendation, but if you don’t go through our online system as well, you risk getting lost in an email abyss!
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://chicktech.prismhr-hire.com/job/58105/act-w-conference-manager →