The City of Portland’s Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is seeking an experienced avian biologist to lead avian surveys in support of BES projects and programs. A primary task is to complete point count surveys for the Portland Area Watershed Assessment and Monitoring Program. Other assignments include scouting and documenting survey locations, nesting bird assessments and monitoring, other wildlife surveys, data entry, data proofing, data management, data analysis, reporting and other related tasks.
Position is full time 40 hours per week Mid-January through June 2020 and may be extended for 900 additional hours July 2020 to June 2021. This position is not eligible for benefit.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
Please state in your resume or cover letter if you have the following desired qualifications (Please note, these are not required but will be helpful)
-Knowledge of life histories of Pacific NW avifauna, including nesting behavior and phenology
-Strong organizational skills; ability to take initiative and work independently
-R statistical software experience
-Technical writing experience such as project reports, literature reviews, and white papers
-Strong written and oral communication skills
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
1. Experience with Point Count: five field seasons conducting multi-species point counts full time.
2. Ability to identify all breeding birds of Portland region by sight and sound and estimate distance to individual birds.
3. Experience with avian nest searching and monitoring, specifically with passerines
4. Ability and experience with ESRI ArcMap GIS and Microsoft Suite such as Work, Outlook, Excel and Access
5. Must be able and willing to work in outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and traverse steep, uneven terrain off trail
6. Must be available during early morning hours to conduct point surveys
Applicant must also possess:
-A current/valid state driver license. Applicant must meet City” good driver” requirements.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor? →