Environmental Technicians II perform a variety of technical and analytical tasks for environmental, water quality, or natural resource science programs. Environmental Technicians II are assigned to programs in both the Water Bureau and Bureau of Environmental Services such as drinking water quality monitoring and compliance, industrial pretreatment and source control, environmental investigations and monitoring, stormwater management, and watershed and environmental management.
Environmental Technicians II work under general supervision and are responsible for planning, coordinating, and conducting water quality sampling, technical investigations and advanced environmental analysis, requiring pollution prevention controls through plan review, and coordinating and implementing watershed planning and improvement projects. Environmental Technicians II also coordinate activities and projects as part of large, multiple and/or complex environmental, water quality and natural resources programs. Technicians may also initiate, respond to and/or monitor regulatory compliance at the City, State and Federal levels.
Bureau of Environmental Services (Current vacancy)
The Industrial Stormwater Section Environmental Technician II position is located within Pollution Prevention Services, Environmental Compliance Division at the Water Pollution Control Laboratory. The Environmental Compliance Division manages the bureau’s regulatory compliance and enforcement programs related to City, state, and federal regulations. The Industrial Stormwater Section is key to identifying sources of pollution to the City storm sewer to protect City assets and receiving streams and ensuring businesses and industries comply with stormwater discharge regulations.
Under the direction of the Industrial Stormwater Section Manager, this position administers Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general permits 1200-Z and 1200-A issued to industrial facilities within the City. The person in this position will be responsible for conducting facility inspections, processing facility annual discharge monitoring reports, issuing enforcement actions, identifying businesses that are required to obtain permit coverage, and reviewing permit applications and associated Stormwater Pollution Control Plans. The Industrial Stormwater Program Environmental Technician II will also perform source investigations and enforce Portland City Code in association with discharges to the City’s storm sewer system.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
1. Knowledge and experience in at least two of the following areas: environmental science, stormwater management, hydrology, water quality, general biology, micro biology, wildlife biology, botany, chemistry, engineering, or statistics.
2. Skill in using a variety of computer applications such as MS Excel, MS Word, databases, charts and graphics, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software.
3. Ability to evaluate, analyze and interpret environmental data and clearly present technical information in oral, written or other forms.
4. Ability to perform field inspections and/or monitoring and interpret and/or record field conditions/data as they apply to drinking water, stormwater and/or sanitary sewer discharge programs.
5. Knowledge and ability to interpret federal, state and local regulations relating to environmental programs such as wastewater, stormwater, groundwater, drinking water, or hazardous waste and explain the regulations to the public or internal stakeholders.
6. Ability to read, interpret and evaluate various technical documents such as environmental testing reports, stormwater management facility construction schematics, wastewater pretreatment process flow diagrams, and site assessments.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland is committed to offering medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability coverage that provides quality care, support and value to eligible employees and their family members. Additional benefits such as flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance and employee assistance program coverage is available to ensure employees have the appropriate tools to safeguard themselves and their family.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor?page=2 →