The City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services is seeking candidates for Supervising Engineer in the Design Services Division of the Engineering Services Group. The Engineering Services Group manages capital repair, rehabilitation and expansion of Portland’s sanitary and stormwater collection systems, pump stations, and treatment plants. They also support watershed health by enhancing streams, restoring habitat and implementing stormwater management projects. Within Engineering Services, the Design Services Division provides engineering, design and project management for the Bureau’s Capital Improvement Program. The current need is for two supervisors with skills in the areas of collection system, stormwater management, and stream restoration.
This position will supervise teams of engineering professional and technical staff. The position will be responsible for planning, scheduling, assigning, coordinating, and monitoring the progress of projects assigned to the team. The position will also coordinate the work with other bureau workgroups, and oversee or coordinate work of external consultants and contract staff. The position will directly and indirectly manage complex projects that require substantial professional training and expertise.
The position will provide key contributions to the development and implementation of engineering standards and priorities, and the preparation of operating budget recommendations; monitor performance against bureau and division budgets; authorize material purchases; and monitor work activities and expenditures to control costs.
The position will review reports, plans, calculations and specifications prepared by subordinates for adherence to City standards and accepted engineering practices. The position will provide leadership and work with staff to create a high-performance, service-oriented work environment that supports the City’s and bureau’s missions, objectives and service expectations, including leadership or participation in programs and activities that promote workplace diversity, equity and a positive team environment. Experience within the preliminary design, final design, and construction phase of projects is desired but not required.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
1. Experience applying engineering principles, practices, construction techniques and current trends related to stormwater management, combined and sanitary sewer, and stream restoration.
2. Experience planning, assigning, developing, supervising and coordinating the work of professional and technical subordinates, including providing coaching and professional development support.
3. Experience administering contracts, preparing and interpreting engineering plans and specifications, codes, regulations and complex technical documents for stormwater management, combined and sanitary sewer, and stream restoration projects.
4. Ability to interact effectively with diverse staff, partners and other managers across workgroups and disciplines, problem-solve, and communicate technical matters to non-technical individuals.
5. Knowledge and experience preparing, monitoring and managing complex project and program level budgets.
6. Knowledge of cost estimating, scheduling, regulations, industry standards, and equipment applicable to stormwater management, combined and sanitary sewer, and stream restoration projects.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor?page=4 →