Location: Portland, OR, United States preferred. Remote applicants will be considered based on ability, not location. However, we do require the ability to overlap with the Pacific time zone business hours for at least 4 hours per day.
Overview: The Drupal Association serves one of the largest global open source communities – Drupal has pioneered open source for 17 years. Join our incredible, mission-driven team and make an important impact by building the tools that help our community build Drupal. We serve a diverse community – including coders, site builders, content editors, business people, themers, agency owners and more. Through conferences, webinars, marketing support and most importantly, maintaining Drupal.org, we reach many thousands of people a year in our quest to support and grow the Drupal Project.
The Drupal Association seeks a Technical Program Manager (TPM) to join our Engineering team and shepherd key programs for Drupal.org that empower our global community to collaborate and build the Drupal project. A TPM is expected to be technically fluent, have excellent project management skills, and excel in internal and external communication.
We are a small team that works very hard in service to a community of diverse needs. We are not a hip agency with an instagrammable office full of dogs and live music Mondays – but we are a committed group of humans who care a lot about each other as people, and while we work really hard, we also have a LOT of fun. Our distributed team environment supports our human-first mentality – no one needs to be stuck in rush hour when you could spend that hour (or two) doing something that makes your life better.
All roles within the Drupal Association are multi-disciplinary. The Technical Program Manager for the Engineering team wears several hats to serve multiple stakeholders.
The core of the TPM’s responsibilities are our technical programs. From initiatives like the migration of Drupal.org’s developer tools to GitLab; to creating a Telemetry system for Drupal sites to report back to Drupal.org; to planning for the platform migration of Drupal.org from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8— there are quite a few high-impact programs that need care and attention.
A unique responsibility of the TPM for the Drupal Association is communication with our community. This has both inbound and outbound components:
- Outbound: Updating the Drupal.org roadmap, publishing change bi-weekly change notifications for each sprint, updating the monthly ‘What’s new on Drupal.org’ blog, and engaging with the community wherever they may be.
- Inbound: Being a liaison to Drupal’s technical leadership, including coordinating with the Core Maintainers to capture their needs, aligning community requests with our internal priorities, etc
The Technical Program Manager is responsible for triaging internal requests for engineering resources at the Association, and prioritizing them into our work schedule. The TPM is also responsible for providing direct support for other departments, including: training, advanced Drupal site administration, escalation of technical requests, etc. Lastly, this position takes point on vendor management.
Our upcoming projects
- Migrating Drupal.org’s developer tools to GitLab.
- Making Drupal.org an identity provider (OAUTH, SAML, etc), to help unite the community across channels.
- Creating a new demo experience for the Try Drupal program, while preserving critical partner placements.
- Reimagining Drupal distributions with a Composer driven workflow.
- Integrate Events.Drupal.org with the Kuoni Congress platform.
- Collaborating on initiatives with the Drupal Core team:
- Support semantic versioning for contribImproved Composer support
- Creating a project communication channel in Drupal
- Automatic Updates
- Site builder/project browser
- Update the Drupal.org marketplace and contribution credit system as needed to incentivize contribution
Some tools we use
- G Suite
- Drupal.org issue queues
- 3+ years of project management or program management experience in a technical field.
- Experience with best practices:
Dev -> Staging -> Production workflows
- User research
- Familiarity with open source communities and community governance.
- Experience with advanced Drupal site administration (using Drupal as an advanced end-user, not necessarily as a developer).
- A portfolio of technical communications to a broad audience. For example: blog posts, webinars, conference session presentations, etc.
The Technical Program Manager position is a contract position through October of 2019. This position may be renewed or converted to a permanent position. This contract position reports to the Executive Director. We are a distributed team that can be based anywhere in the world, but must overlap a minimum of 4 work hours per day with our Portland, OR, USA core team. Overlap is extremely important for this role, as a lot of the work is time sensitive and requires last-minute edits.The Drupal Association is committed to building a culturally diverse group and strongly encourages applications from people of color and under-represented groups.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Applications are due no later than October 15th, 2018 .
Your cover letter should address your relevant experience in technology management, your background in Drupal, your specific interest in the Drupal Association’s mission, and your compensation expectations.
Please apply online at: https://association.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk01yrp?cjb_hash=O_dNLf86&apply_now=true
About the Drupal Association
The Drupal Association is an educational non-profit organization that tasks itself with fostering and supporting the Drupal software project, the community and its growth. Supported by both individual members and organizations, the Association uses its resources, network and funds to constantly engage in new projects and initiatives to help educate people about Drupal and support the growth of the Drupal project.
The Drupal Association is committed to reflecting the diversity of the Drupal community and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage people in technology from underrepresented groups to apply.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://association.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk01yrp?cjb_hash=O_dNLf86&apply_now=true →