Ecology in Classrooms and Outdoors (ECO) seeks an experienced, goal oriented Executive Director to lead the organization into the next level of growth. This is a high profile position for an individual with a passion for environmental education.
Ideal candidates possess proven leadership skills and fundraising experience required to drive a renewed and energized organization, and must be knowledgeable about nonprofit administration, fiscal management, possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and capably represent the organization in public.
Successful candidates will possess a solid background in senior level management at a nonprofit organization and must have a working knowledge of fundraising and experience in development, and demonstrated the ability to work with diverse partners, audiences, stakeholders, and other community leaders.
Ecology in Classrooms & Outdoors (ECO) was founded in 2005 to bring hands-on, outdoor education to K-12 students. Programs occur during the school day, after school, and at summer camps. To date, ECO has served over 26,000 students in the greater Portland Metro area and along the Oregon Coast, and has become a leader in the state in providing experiential outdoor education tied to educational standards.
The organization has recently completed a three-year Strategic & Fund Development Plan that will continue to support existing programs, while also growing a new model in which ECO provides training and curriculum to teachers. Through our own programs, collaborations with partners’ programs, and supporting statewide initiatives, ECO aims to make experiential outdoor education a component of every Oregon student’s classroom throughout the entirety of their educational career.
Organization: Ecology in Classrooms and Outdoors (ECO)
Mission: To connect students to our natural world and inspire tomorrow’s environmental stewards
Position: Executive Director
Start Date: To be determined, Position open until filled
FTE: Regular Full-time, Exempt (salaried)
Location: ECO office: 4214 SE 12th Ave Portland, OR (near a MAX line and major bus route)
Compensation: $65,000-$75,000 annually
Benefits: 5 days PTO + 14 holidays, healthcare
How to apply:
Submit your application electronically as a PDF to gro.sroodtuoygolocenull@sboj
(Subject line: ED Search), include the following materials:
- Cover letter describing your interest in the ECO Executive Director position
- Chronological resume and 3 professional references
- Diversity-Equity-Inclusion statement (up to 1 page) that describes: your personal and/or professional experience advancing DEI.
Your application materials will remain confidential with the search team.
- Oversee and implement ECO’s Strategic & Fund Development Plan in coordination with the Board of Directors.
- ED is expected to direct fundraising efforts
- Ensure financial viability
- Represent ECO in the community
- Act as visionary leader for the organization
- Serve as liaison between Board of Directors and staff
Duties and Tasks
- Oversee and manage the creation and implementation of development activities
- Develop relationships with donors and funders
- Engage Board members in fundraising activities
- Cultivate strong relationships with existing donors and corporate partners to retain and increase the number and size of financial contributions
- Identify prospective major donors and corporate partners and develop relationships and mutually advantageous alliances
- Understand relationships between grant funding sources, partners and programs and assist Director of Operations in developing grant calendar
- Manage staff to ensure execution of existing systems, policies and procedures, such as orientations and performance reviews, as well as developing and implementing new ones as necessary
- Facilitate effective internal communications
- Determine specific strategies to motivate staff, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Foster teamwork by working cooperatively and effectively with others to resolve problems and provide solutions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Attend each ECO program offering on a regular basis
- Fiscal Responsibilities
- Create organizational budget with the Finance Committee
- Oversee financial reporting and present quarterly reports to the Board of Directors
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget
- Monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Expertly represent ECO in the community at partner events, conferences, meetings
- Speak knowledgeably about ECO’s programs and their impacts on students’ learning, health, and sense of belonging to a community
- Engage with Executive Directors and leaders of other Environmental Education programs
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent people and communications skills
- Supervisory experience
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE certified)
- Detail oriented
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Strong computer skills with proficiency or ability to rapidly achieve proficiency in Monday.com,
- G Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks and Bloomerang
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.ecologyoutdoors.org/careers-1 →