The Friendly House kindergarten-fifth grade after school program in NW Portland seeks experienced assistant teachers in our After School classrooms. Ideal candidates bring enthusiasm for working with kindergarten–fifth grade students, providing academic support during homework club, leading highly engaging arts and crafts activities, teaching S.T.E.M. concepts, active games, and other fun recreational activities for elementary school students in and out of school settings. Work hours vary by position-specific duties between the hours of 12–6pm. Please visit our website, www.friendlyhouseinc.org/employment, to apply.
We currently have two positions available:
The Assistant teacher position is full time, 30 hours per week with a health and dental package valued at $5,000/year and up to a 4% employer match on employee contributions to our 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays. A Friendly House fitness membership and discounts on some activities are also provided. A typical schedule is Monday–Friday, 12–6pm.
The Floating Assistant teacher position is part time, 15 hours per week with paid vacation, sick leave and holidays. A Friendly House fitness membership and discounts on some activities are also provided. A typical work schedule is Monday to Friday, 2–5pm.
Hourly pay is $14.30 for both positions.
Please read the PDFs on our website for the full description of function and requirements for these jobs.
• Provide a safe, healthy environment for children in the After School Program.
• Maintain responsibility for a group of up to 15 children; share responsibility for groups of up to 30 children with an Assistant Teacher or Teacher.
• Model appropriate, cooperative behavior for children.
• Support co-workers to develop and sustain classroom systems that promote positive behavior and accountability.
• With teaching team, plan and implement weekly classroom curriculum that includes art, literacy, music, science, physical education and social skill building. Lead a minimum of two large group activities every week.
• Ongoing, child-driven projects and/or periodic units are required.
• Lead one to three 8-week club sessions throughout the school year. Plan club curriculum that works toward a final presentation or performance. Examples of clubs are Music, Painting, Photography, Science, and Gardening.
• Prepare and present weekly activities concepts to the School-Age Manager by the last day of each week.
• Maintain appropriate staff-to-student ratios at all times.
Planning, Preparation, and Meetings
• Attend required staff meetings.
• Thoughtfully prepare classroom calendar and curriculum and submit on the timeline requested.
• Assure that classroom and storage areas are kept clean and organized.
• Meet Childcare Division (15 hours per year) and Friendly House training requirements.
• Communicate regularly and positively with children, parents, school staff and co-workers.
• Follow Friendly House Risk Management Plan.
• Keep track of essential paperwork.
• Prepare classroom for each day, including lifting and moving chairs and tables as needed.
• Maintain accurate attendance rosters for students in their care.
• Actively participate in all-staff meetings and events.
• Help Friendly House fulfill its community-building mission through interactions with students, families, staff and the community.
1. At least 20 semester hours (or 30 quarter hours) of training at a college or university in elementary education, child development, physical education, recreation, special education or early childhood education (K-3), OR
a. At least one year of successful, full-time work experience in a certified day-care center or comparable group child-care program in the care of school-age children. Applicants with a degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE), a related field or those in the process of obtaining an ECE or related degree will receive first consideration.
2. Must pass Child Care Division Criminal History check.
3. Must be 18 years of age or older.
4. Must obtain a Food Handlers Card, First Aid/CPR Certifications within 60 days of employment.
5. Must take a Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect class within 60 days of employment.
6. Physical requirements include the ability to routinely lift 50 pounds; bend, stoop, twist and sit on the floor with children; and run after children.
TO APPLY: To apply, email your résumé and cover letter to the hiring team leader, Tommy Castellano. We strongly encourage you to learn more about each job by reading the PDFs located on our website at www.friendlyhouseinc.org/employment and including the suggested Subject Line in your email. *No phone calls please.*
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION:
Friendly House values equity, diversity, and inclusion. People with lived experience in communities of color and other marginalized groups are encouraged to apply
It is the policy of Friendly House to treat all people with dignity and respect. The agency prohibits discrimination based upon race, sex, religion, color, gender identity, age, national origin, marital or familial status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military service, veteran status, housing status, source of income, political affiliation, union affiliation, physical or mental disability or other protected status in accordance with applicable law. In addition, we shall not discriminate against minority-owned, women-owned or emerging small business.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org