Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington is seeking a Volunteer Membership Manager. The Volunteer Membership Manager works with the Director of Volunteer Membership Services to manage a regional team of Volunteer Membership Support Specialists who ensure a high-quality Girl Scout Leadership Experience for girls through direct support of administrative and troop volunteers in assigned geographic areas. The Volunteer Membership Manager leads the development and execution of girl and adult membership recruitment and retention plans for the team to achieve annual council membership goals.
Our Organization: We are the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. We serve to help every girl discover their strengths and unlock their full potential. We prepare girls to empower themselves to be leaders in their lives and in the world. Girl Scouts is Girl-led, volunteer-supported, and over 20,000 strong throughout our service area. Through scouting, we help girls builds courage, confidence, and character to make the world a better place. We believe:
- Every girl has the power to change the world.
- Our job is to provide programs, facilities, and support.
- Our duty is to help members and volunteers maximize their positive impact.
- Our employees deserve great benefits for doing great work.
The Position: This is a full-time, exempt position, with base compensation starting $40,000 annually.
- Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, short-term disability
- We also provide a generous retirement plan, paid time off, and paid holidays
- See more details on our website
- Experience in a supervisory role of multiple staff
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers
- Experience in community development, including school partnerships
- Strong leader and collaborative manager
- Project management experience
- High level of cultural responsiveness and a commitment to diversity and experience working effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Strong communication skills, including verbal and written, and experience communicating to volunteers and the public in large and small groups, as well as on an individual basis
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships both internally and externally
- Provides excellent customer service
- High level of attention to detail, organizational skills, reporting experience
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Time management skills
- Problem-solving using excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Computer proficiency at an intermediate level in Microsoft office including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and ease in learning new programs
- Sales or nonprofit fundraising experience
- Experience with Salesforce, other CRM, or database system
- Experience creating, running, and analyzing reports
- Evaluation design and assessment experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) speak, read and write
- Manages a team of staff to ensure that quality service is provided to members and council goals are met
- Manage administrative personnel tasks, including but not limited to, approving team expenses, staff schedules, and time cards
- Performs staff coaching, supervision and support including regular check in meetings and performance evaluations
- Manages budgets related to team travel and training
- Oversees all aspects of team projects and large council-wide events, and publications
- Works in conjunction with the Volunteer/Membership Services Director and other departments to design and implement Service Unit and volunteer evaluations
- Works closely with the Communications/Marketing department to develop a marketing plan and communication materials for recruitment and retention efforts
- Promotes and assists with council-wide programs, activities, public relations and fund development endeavors
- Oversee and implement volunteer management to ensure excellent support and customer service to volunteers and parents through communication, education, and recognition to support the achievement of council program and customer experience targets
- Oversee the flow of information between staff and local volunteers, interpreting policies and procedures as needed
- Provide conflict resolution guidance and decision making support to staff and in assigned areas with volunteers
- Collaboratively develop goals with staff and volunteers to meet goals for girl and adult membership and retention
- Ensure work plans for staff to reach yearly recruitment and retention goals in assigned geographic areas
- Monitor and support staff work with local schools, community organizations and networks to increase visibility and opportunities for girls, recruit volunteers, and increase program and funding partnerships to meet council objectives
- Build internal, cross-departmental relationships that contribute to a team environment through strong collaborative skills and a willingness to work cross-functionally
- Recruits, trains and supports volunteers serving in Service Unit positions
- Mentors these volunteers to support a Service Unit health and Troop Support
- Ensures Girl Scouts is open to all girls and adults by delivering the Girl Scout message of equity and diversity to all members of the council
- Utilizes the council’s customer relationship management system to manage, support, and track interactions with volunteers
- Answers, problem-solves, manages and responds appropriately to volunteer inquiries including, but not limited to, email, phone and walk-in customers
- Act as a liaison to administrative volunteers in assigned geographical areas including recruiting, selecting, appointing, training and supervising those volunteers
- Work as part of a collaborative team with the volunteers by assisting with team goal setting and budgeting
- Ensure the health of the team by promoting teamwork, regularly reviewing of achievements, and supporting leadership progression and rotation on the team
- Meet with volunteers in an assigned geographic area regularly to promote staff and volunteer relationships and provide support to volunteers
- Monitor troop and girl engagement in a variety of opportunities and across all pathways
- Act as the subject matter expert for troops regarding council policies and procedures, online tools, processes and requirements
- Maintain timely, accurate records of activities and customer interactions in the customer relations management software
The Location: This position works out of our Southwest Portland Service Center. We are close to Downtown, Beaverton, and Hillsboro, near Multnomah Village. This position requires significant local travel throughout the designated service area – approximately 35% of the time, and occasional overnight trips for training or special events.
Why you should apply:
- Meaningful Work. Get paid to support an amazing nonprofit organization and make a positive difference in the world, every day
- Supportive Culture. Our culture is supportive and collaborative. The same principles that apply to our members, apply to our staff, because we are members too!
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion. We encourage, value and honor diversity, and support an culture of equity and inclusion. We are committed to fostering racial and ethnic diversity at every level of the organization. We are an equal opportunity employer.
- Health Benefits. We offer generous health, dental, and vision plan options, some with no employee premium costs
- Retirement Contribution. Eligible employees receive 3.5% employer contribution, no employee match required
- Paid Time Off. Full-time employees can earn up to 22 days of PTO per year, and 11 paid holidays per year
- Peace of mind. Eligible employees receive employer paid Life/AD&D, Long Term Disability, and Short Term Disability Insurance
How to Apply:
- Submit your application with resume via our careers site at https://www.vscyberhosting.com/girlscoutsosw/Careers.aspx?req=2019-365%20VOLU-001&Type=JOBDESCR
- Applications not submitted through our website will not be considered.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.vscyberhosting.com/girlscoutsosw/Careers.aspx?req=2019-365%20VOLU-001&Type=JOBDESCR →