Position: Vice President of Retail Operations
Department: Executive Team
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Compensation: Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and includes full benefits package: medical, dental, vision and alternative care coverage; vacation and sick leave; holidays; flexible spending accounts; and matching retirement plan
Habitat for Humanity partners with people in local communities, and all over the world, to help them build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With community support, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
Started in 1981, Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East (HFHPME) revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. HFHPME is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement. HFHPME is one of the most successful affiliates in the nation and is on the leading edge of program development, innovation and fundraising.
A key source of funds to support Habitat’s mission comes from its retail operations called Habitat
ReStores. The Habitat for Humanity ReStore home improvement outlets take donated new and used building materials, furniture, appliances, lighting fixtures and other home goods, then sell them to raise money for Habitat home-building projects while diverting tons of reusable materials out of area landfills. Since its inception, the Habitat Portland Metro ReStores have sold over $13 million in merchandise with over $3 million in direct contributions to Habitat’s mission of building homes, communities and hope. There are currently four ReStores that support the three Habitat affiliates serving the Portland/Vancouver metro area.
Serving as an integral member of the Leadership Team, the VP of Retail Operations will provide leadership, strategic direction and operational management for Habitat for Humanity Portland Metro ReStores. Responsibilities include oversight of ReStore operations comprised of four (4) retail stores including Retail Sales, Donation Pickup, Business Relations, Volunteer Development, Marketing and Communications and Salvage Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provide effective and inspiring leadership, developing a broad and deep knowledge of the ReStore brand to effectively represent the Affiliates’ ReStore interests and collaborate with HFHI and other affiliates
· Manage, develop, evaluate and mentor staff, providing leadership and guidance in goal setting, problem solving, resource management and outcome achievement
· Lead, coach, and retain high-performing ReStore managers with an emphasis on developing capacity and succession planning
· Develop and implement multi-year ReStore strategic plan; targeting annual growth to meet organization long-term financial projections. Develop and implement measures to monitor progress towards goals and objectives regularly
· Build organizational and staff capacity, develop processes that ensure the ReStore operation runs smoothly and establish an environment that promotes teamwork across the diverse aspects of the program’s functions
· Serve as a catalyst for innovation and continuous improvement
· Responsible for all aspects of P&L management, budgeting, procurement and retail inventory
· Identify and initiate opportunities to reduce expenses and create increased operational efficiencies
· Responsible for strategic approach to assess and determine existing and emergent technologies that can enhance and positively impact the growth of the ReStores
· Analyze prospective/potential new sites and assess feasibility based on financial data and market variables; partner with appropriate Affiliate and ReStore leadership on new store site identification, setup and staffing
· Maintain a working knowledge of best practices and significant developments and trends in related industries
· Participate as an active member of the organization’s Leadership Team
· Oversee all real estate agreements and leases for Retail Operations
· Build and maintain appropriate relations with vendors, landlords, business partners, and community liaisons ensuring ReStores’ positive presence and reputation
· Foster a collaborative and supportive relationship between the ReStores and the entire organization
· Interact with media representatives as appropriate
· The support of knowledgeable advisors and inclusion of them in key decisions is a priority for the ReStores development. The VP organizes and prepares for regular Advisory Council meetings and recruits new members as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to balance leadership and management roles within a growing organization. Understands and is effective at change management
Extensive organizational leadership, financial and project management experience
Able to identify, evaluate, problem solve and give direction regarding problem resolution for individual and organization-wide issues. Position requires an ability to manage conflict
Makes decisions and solves problems independently and effectively. Ability to think and act decisively
Exceptional organizational and communication skills
Works as an effective and proactive team player. Collaboration, networking and relationship-building skills
Positive, optimistic outlook that fosters an upbeat work environment
Diplomacy, outstanding representation of organization including public presentations
· Commitment to Mission of Habitat for Humanity and in the people and neighborhoods it serves; genuine interest in and ability to relate to a highly diverse environment, clientele and constituencies
Education and Experience:
· 8+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience. Knowledge of retail, real estate, marketing, salvage and environmental areas preferred
· A bachelors in business or nonprofit management or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
· A history of successfully creating and implementing a strategy and vision based on strong analysis and rationale
· Proven track record of driving performance, leading change and organizational growth
· Previous experience with and knowledge of thrift home improvement industry; non-profit retail organizations and volunteer management preferred
· Highly collaborative with the ability to solve complex problems using structured thinking
· Solution-oriented with commitment to delivering excellent internal and external customer service
Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
Excels at multi-tasking with various projects and deadlines; attention to detail a must
Strong organization and time management skills
APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE:
· A complete resume, including dates of employment
· A cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position, and how you heard about it
· Three references: at least two professional
To apply, submit the above information to: gro.ortemdnaltroptatibahnull@anomar with “ReStore VP” in the subject line by November 1.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
For further information about Habitat and ReStore visit our websites at: http://habitatportlandmetro.org/ and https://www.pdxrestore.org/
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com