Impact NW started 50 years ago when a group of neighbors came together to address the growing poverty in their Southeast Portland neighborhood. Ever since, Impact NW has created life-changing partnerships with our clients to help them find their way and achieve their life goals. Key to our success is the cultural, educational, ethnic and social diversity of our employees. We tap our deep, diverse knowledge and experiences to build relationships with clients from many backgrounds and provide the extra guidance our clients desire. If you believe in what we do, join our team. Together, we can find a way.
ABOUT JACKSON SUN SCHOOL: SUN School (Schools Uniting Neighborhoods) at Jackson provides support to students in a variety of ways, the biggest being the after school program. JackSUN offers academic enrichment and recreational learning classes for students after school such as homework club, cooking, ceramics, basketball, etc. In addition, JackSUN provides school supplies and access to other social services for families in need as well as evening adult education classes and community events. SUN uses a trauma-informed and culturally response approach to working with youth and their families.
JOB SUMMARY: The fitness coach will work with the SUN Site Manager, other coaches, and Extended Day Coordinator to provide opportunities for middle schoolers to learn fitness principles, sportsmanship, and sports skills and knowledge. The coach will also serve as mentor and role model for young men who desperately need more adults they can connect with at school. This position is temporary and a maximum of 10 hours per week. The position starts in September 30th 2019 and will end in June 5th 2020.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach or assist instructors in running sports drills and scrimmages.
- Supervise groups of 12-18 children, ages 11-13.
Connect with and inspire young men and male-identified youth. Devote some time in each session to social/emotional learning.
- Act as a positive role-model for students. Be their ally, their biggest fan, and hold them accountable.
- Participate and implement support program safety to ensure students are in a safe environment.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience providing academic and recreational activities to students in after school environments.
- Experience serving as a role model for young boys and male-identified youth.
- Knowledge of basketball and general sports skills, rules, and practice drills.
- Ability to effectively work within a strengths-based, integrated youth support service delivery system.
- Sensitivity and ability to relate to people from diverse lifestyles, socioeconomic levels, and cultures.
- Willingness to work as a team member alongside head coach and support the mission of Impact NW.
- Must be able to complete and pass an Oregon Background check including fingerprinting through Portland Public Schools prior to start date.
Impact NW is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity. We strongly encourage all qualified candidates to apply regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, veteran status, disability or other status protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=63919&clientkey=9538FF34AE399A6DACEB7D4ED1453F43 →