Full-time / Exempt / Portland, Oregon / United States
This is a 6-MONTH TEMPORARY assignment with an anticipated start date of 1.15.20
Unrestricted U.S. work authorization is required
MERCY CORPS is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps’ programs in Africa are undergoing both momentous humanitarian crises and significant development challenges that offer the opportunity to empower people to survive through crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. Against this backdrop, Mercy Corps’ focus is on promoting good governance and conflict resolution, enhancing resilience, facilitating market systems, access to finance and economic opportunities, as well as youth employment and empowerment. As a partner in fostering positive changes across the continent, our success relies on executing our current and future programs on scope, on budget and on time across the continent, while looking at new approaches, new opportunities and at leveraging innovations for the greatest impact and influence throughout the region.
To support strategic, impactful, high-quality programming and related grant administration in the Africa Region
To connect the field to HQ resources and represent the country/regional interests internally with various HQ teams as well as with external stakeholders
To partner in providing a secondary check and supporting the field in adhering to internal and external policies and regulations
PROGRAMS, GRANTS & PROPOSALS
- Serving as HQ point of responsibility for overall monitoring on grants and programs for both external/donor requirements and internal policies and requirements
- Providing ongoing monitoring of program status and completing regular check-ins on grant requirements
Supporting the country team’s adherence to internal policies, Program Management minimum standards, and Complex Programs management standards as identified
- Leading proposal coordination, monitoring the timeline and status, and communicating to all relevant parties as appropriate
- Reviewing final proposal draft for coherence and managing submission to the donor (PO may be appointed a different role in the design process and travel to field if needed)
- Ensuring knowledge management systems are up to date andaccurate and program management minimum standards are adhered to in support of communication with other teams
PARTNERSHIPS, REPRESENTATION & STRATEGY
- Coordinating partnership negotiation and development to help further program, country and regional interests
- Representing regional interests and programs with external stakeholders, in concert with the field teams and guidance from the Senior Program Officer
- Supporting country teams with strategy development and planning, sharing lessons learned across country portfolios and regions and knowledge of agency resources/tools/best practices/etc.
- Providing travelers with relevant security documents and security orientations/briefings in preparation of travel, ensuring compliance with procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Communicating country or regional security posture to staff as needed and supporting country teams, in coordination with the Regional Program Director and Global Security Advisor, as issues arise
YOUR SUCCESS FACTORS
Your focus is on exceptional service and solutions first. You’re meticulous about details, deadlines and deliverables. You are eager to learn, grow and excel at all you do. You embrace the Mercy Corps mission and share our sense of urgency about the global issues central to our work.
YOUR SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 2 – 4 years of field-based experience in international relief and development (prior work experience in Africa strongly preferred); general program management experience is beneficial
- 2- 4 years of experience managing the development, implementation, administration and compliance of grants (especially of US Government-funded)
- Proficiency with proposal development including support and writing with various donors (particularly US Government), private foundations and corporations
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, as well as Google Suites and other online tools
- Some experience representing and organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public is preferred
- Fluency in French is a plus
- At least a BA/S in a relevant field is preferred
Robust Team Member Benefits
- Zero-premium health, dental and vision coverage for team member, spouse and dependents
- 90% subsidized annual TriMet pass
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Equity & Inclusion
At Mercy Corps, we believe that empowering people and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all feel equally respected and valued will help us create a secure, productive and just world. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants of all religions, ethnicities, citizenships, educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, ages, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, along with brief application information.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://jobs.jobvite.com/careers/mercycorps/job/oDJwbfwN?__jvst=Employee&__jvsd=s86tdiwH&__jvsc=Url&bid=n9HSxMww →