For over 35 years, Northwest Housing Alternatives (NHA) has been a leading not-for-profit developer of affordable housing in Oregon. Our mission is to create opportunity through housing by developing, building, and managing rental housing designed for Oregonians with extremely limited incomes. These homes help families live healthy and stable lives, allow older adults to age in place, and give people with special needs a dignified residence. Along with providing affordable housing, NHA provides services that connect tenants to critical health and community resources, work to prevent homelessness before it begins, and offer emergency shelter and services for families experiencing homelessness.
NHA has developed affordable housing in 16 Oregon counties and is currently managing a portfolio of 1,885 units across 101 properties. Each night more than 2,900 people are sheltered in NHA properties.
NHA is seeking a passionate and dynamic leader for our Housing Development Department. The Director of Housing Development is a senior position within the organization that carries the responsibility to create well-designed and financially sustainable affordable rental housing configured to meet urgent housing needs throughout our state. The Director of Housing Development will provide management and oversight of our Housing Development department, including identifying sites, evaluating project feasibility, securing financing, supervising construction, and transitioning projects to the Asset Management team. The Housing Development Director reports to the Executive Director, serves as a member of our senior management team, contributes to the leadership of the organization, and serves on other stakeholder committees and workgroup across the state related to reverent policy and program development.
This is a 40 hour/week exempt position. Starting salary for this position is $90,000 to $120,000 depending on applicable experience.
Candidate Profile and Experience Requirements
- Lead all housing and facilities development for NHA, maintaining a development pipeline across the state with varied groups and stakeholders, optimizing NHA capacity, development resources, and project opportunities.
- Develop and manage a pipeline of projects to meet housing needs and fulfill NHA’s mission; seeking new opportunities in communities new to NHA.
- Supervise NHA staff and project teams through the housing development process including: site selection, feasibility analysis, securing financing, assembling development teams, managing community input and land use review, overseeing construction, completing cost certification and project closeout.
- Create and monitor Housing Development departmental budgets; approve purchases, expenditures and timesheets for the Housing Development team; work to insure the program resources and expenditures stay within authorized levels.
- Develop and maintain positive business relationships with public and private funders, contractors and vendors, service partners, community stakeholders and other industry allies.
- Supervise Housing Development staff; provide training and coaching; share knowledge and experience.
- Participate in public policy forums to advocate for policies and funding supportive of affordable housing.
- Participate in agency wide activities as a member of the management team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Necessary knowledge, skills, and qualifications for this position include:
- Eight years of professional experience in community development, affordable housing development or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Community Development, Real Estate or related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of affordable housing financing tools including LIHTC, OAHTC, Housing Trust Fund, CDBG, HOME, FHLB, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
- Skill in structuring viable financing packages and securing funding through competitive and solicited processes.
- Ability to manage complex and time-critical processes, funding requirements and relationships to complete projects on time and on budget; and maintain composure, communications, and leadership through high stress moments.
- Ability to evaluate risk and develop risk management plans for projects.
- Ability to work in partnership with funders, investors, consultants, contractors, regulatory bodies, and NHA staff and board of directors.
- Ability to collaborate with other NHA staff to integrate housing development with asset management and resident services.
- Skill in designing and implementing management systems and tools to create efficient, effective and well documented business processes
- Experience in training, assigning work, monitoring performance and coaching professional team members.
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and follow through to implement equity goals through project development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills including advanced proficiency in Excel and on-line research.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and own reliable transportation with current insurance.
About Northwest Housing Alternatives
NHA offers a great work environment and an opportunity to work with a group of committed and passionate coworkers just seven miles south of downtown Portland. NHA provides a full range of benefits, including but not limited to the following:
- Excellent health coverage through Kaiser Permanente, including multiple medical and dental plan options; NHA contributes 100% of the cost of coverage for the employee each year, plus an additional $250/month if the employee adds dependents. Alternative care and vision included
- 7% match after the first year of employment for our 403(b) plan with T. Rowe Price
- Generous vacation and sick leave
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave
Northwest Housing Alternatives is committed to supporting a diverse workforce and does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other status protected by law.
Please submit letter of interest and resume. We will hire as soon as the right applicant is found.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org