Northwest Housing Alternatives, a dynamic non-profit working to create opportunity through housing, is seeking a Housing Support Specialist to work with individuals suffering with a severe and persistent mental illness that may be at risk of or currently experiencing homelessness. This position administers ongoing rental assistance to stabilize participants with low incomes in housing. A successful candidate would operate from a recovery perspective and work as part of the Homeless Intervention Services team.
We are seeking a self-motivated individual to meet with eligible participants to complete a comprehensive housing assessment, assist with the housing search, fill out housing applications and support the participant through the lease up process. Once the participant is housed, this position will work with Peer Supports in identifying needed services to promote success while providing an on-going rental housing subsidy. This individual will canvass communities in Clackamas County and develop partnerships with landlords or property management companies/owners. Need to be well versed in Fair Housing Law and reasonable accommodations in order to assist someone with a disability in overcoming barriers that may prevent a person from obtaining permanent housing. Successful candidate will have a strong skill set in mediating conflicts and will provide support to landlords and the tenant to help resolve problems as they arise.
The position is stationed in Milwaukie but may travel throughout Clackamas County for meetings and participant home-visits. The position is full time and duties are conducted mainly during regular business hours Monday through Friday but may require hours in the evening or on weekends as needed. Hourly wage is $19 – $21.50/hr. depending upon experience, and includes a competitive benefit package.
Qualifications and required core competencies include:
- Minimum of Bachelor Degree in psychology, counseling, human development, social work with two years social service work experience;
- OR three years of verifiable mental health experience working with the SPMI population in a supervised social service setting;
OR equivalent combination of behavioral science education in addition to satisfactory supplemental mental health experience or training.
- Experience working with persons with disabilities, specifically in the mental health and/or chemical dependency field and chronic homelessness a plus.
- Experience working with landlords and placing homeless households with barriers into permanent housing.
- Knowledge of housing resources in Clackamas County, Oregon landlord/tenant laws and fair housing regulations.
- Exposure to Assertive Engagement, Motivational Interviewing, Housing First, and Psychiatric Rehabilitation a plus.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team and independently.
- Is able to work with individuals and families from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Having knowledge of crisis intervention and de-escalation skills is desired.
- A successful candidate will be able to pass a criminal background check
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and own reliable transportation with insurance
We value the strength diversity brings to our workplace. Bi-lingual skills in Spanish is desired.
Northwest Housing Alternatives (NHA) is committed to supporting a diverse workforce and does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual preference or any other status protected by law.
NHA has been recognized by Oregon Business Magazine as one of the 100 Best Non Profits to work for from 2009 to 2013.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to gro.gnisuohwnnull@ofni by August 10th.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com