Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette (PPCW) is committed to providing, promoting, and protecting access to sexual and reproductive health care in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Since 1963, PPCW has provided a broad range of sexual and reproductive health care, including family planning, preventative care, and other medical services; trained and educated community members on issues of sexuality; and advocated for the protection of reproductive rights and freedom in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Each year, more than 58,000 women, men and teens visit a PPCW health center, located in NE and SE Portland, Milwaukie, Beaverton, Salem, and Bend, Oregon; and Vancouver, Washington.
The General Counsel and Compliance Manager provides a wide range of legal and compliance services and business advice, with a particular emphasis on working in the ethics, corporate compliance, and legal areas as generally outlined below.
Essential Functions – Ethics and Corporate Compliance:
- Lead in evolving and administering a compliance program that supports and fulfills the ethical directives identified in Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette’s (PPCW) Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
- Develop, implement, and revise compliance policies and procedures and provide recommendations to streamline and make improvements.
- Analyze legal, regulatory, licensing, and accreditation requirements and their impact on operations and oversee development of compliance risk mitigation plans.
- Lead efforts in development and implementation of compliance initiatives, including those related to CMS, OIG, ADA, OHA, and accrediting and licensing bodies.
- Oversee the implementation, administration, and maintenance of effective ethics and compliance training for all members of PPCW’s workforce.
- Collaborate with other PPCW administrative, financial, and operational departments to ensure operating procedures, systems, and standards align with compliance requirements and controls.
- Perform periodic audits to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with PPCW HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers to ensure compliance with privacy and security requirements and to promptly review and remediate compliance concerns or issues.
- Ensure all PPCW facilities have systems in place to achieve compliance by developing compliance management systems (such as training, policies, procedures, monitoring, and auditing) across all functions.
- Assist managers, supervisors, healthcare providers, and staff members to adopt a culture of compliance and ethics in their daily operations.
- Serve as chairperson of the PPCW Corporate Compliance Committee.
- Monitor hotline, and review, investigate, and remediate compliance concerns through performance of root cause analysis and development and implementation of remedial action plan and retraining.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders, including but not limited to, state and federal regulatory agencies, accreditation bodies, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), Planned Parenthood Advocates of Oregon (PPAO), and other Planned Parenthood affiliates as necessary and appropriate, regarding compliance initiatives, regulatory matters, and audit activities.
- Act as project manager for PPFA Affiliate Accreditation.
- Assist operations in initiating and complying with various state and federal regulatory quality programs and initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with contract requirements.
- Provide periodic reports to senior leadership and board of directors regarding compliance activities and initiatives.
Essential Functions – General Counsel:
- Demonstrate leadership in identifying and analyzing laws and regulations applicable to healthcare practice, nonprofit entities, business / corporate transactions, and regulatory compliance and making recommendations as appropriate.
- Advise PPCW regarding applicable laws, regulations, and regulatory processes impacting PPCW in a variety of areas including, but not limited to, clinical compliance, pharmacy, HIPAA, Medicare / Medicaid, quality, not for profit entities, tax exemption status, CLIA, provider credentialing, coding / billing, telemedicine, scope of practice, business transactions, contracting rules and regulations, licensure, accreditation, 340B program participation, contracting, and fraud and abuse.
- Draft, review, and revise contracts and policies as needed, ensuring compliance with appropriate laws, regulations, corporate policies and procedures. Provide first-line support for contracts to which PPCW is a party.
- In collaboration with other PPCW stakeholders, oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of a contract database for purposes of monitoring and auditing contract terms, renewals, and compliance requirements.
- Act as liaison with corporate insurance broker, E & O, property, etc.
- Evaluate areas of risk and work with organizational stakeholders to transform practices and reduce / mitigate risk.
- Advise and provide analysis to management on legal issues as needed pertaining to Collective Bargaining Agreement, employment law-related issues, implementation and/or application of human resources policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance and advice to support Collective Bargaining Agreement contract negotiations on behalf of management as necessary.
- Provide legal advice and direction regarding privacy and security practices and procedures, including but not limited to, responding to a breach and ensuring compliance with required breach notification rules and regulations.
- Provide legal review and recommendations regarding corporate governance activities, including review and revision of bylaws, articles of incorporation, preparation of board resolutions, and ensuring board members are periodically trained on governance responsibilities and compliance oversight.
- Advise on the formation of non-profit entities.
- Monitor new and ongoing developments in federal and state laws and regulations in order to ensure appropriate revisions to compliance practices, policies, and procedures; to provide updated legal analysis regarding impact of changes to PPCW operations, administration, and financial activities; to provide (as directed) commentary to proposed regulations and/or litigation.
- Oversee risk management program, including the review of new claims or settlement demands and recommendations regarding next steps; the monitoring and tracking of actively filed lawsuits; the filing of all necessary and required reports, including but not limited to, the NPDB and certain payors as per agreement; collaboration with ARMS and outside counsel regarding case disposition.
- Perform legal review and analysis and draft written opinion / recommendation regarding such review and analysis.
- Consult and/or collaborate with outside counsel as necessary regarding legal matters.
- May have direct supervisory responsibilities.
- JD required
- Five (5) years practicing law, providing legal advice and counsel on a variety of business, corporate transactions, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Demonstrated knowledge regarding laws and regulations governing 501(c)3 tax exempt organizations and with other non-profit corporations including 501(c)4 organizations.
- Admission to and a member in good standing with the Oregon State Bar.
- Intermediate computer skills, including proficiency with PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Leadership and familiarity with operational, financial, quality assurance, and human resource procedures and regulations.
Understand organization, fundraising and development of non-profit entities.
- Experience in forming and advising the formation of non-profit entities.
- Experience in a healthcare organization.
- Certification in Healthcare Compliance.
Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, application for workers’ compensation benefits, use of statutory protected leave, veteran or military status, pregnancy, union activity, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.ppcw.org/jobs →