Learning Skills Specialist – Career & Technical Education (PCC Academic Professional and Classified Staff Only)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09159
Location: Southeast Campus
Address: 2305 SE 82nd and Division, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Academic Professional; Salary Level 3, Full time, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $42,429 to $73,568 per year (see “Additional Posting Information” section for details)
Job Close Date: October 9, 2017
Only PCC Academic Professional and Classified Staff are eligible to apply for this recruitment.
This position may require regularly scheduled travel between Southeast Campus and Troutdale Airport.
Schedule: 9:00am-6:00pm Monday – Friday
The Learning Skills Specialist provides tutorial assistance and study skills development to targeted students enrolled in the Career and Technical Education program at Portland Community College, Southeast Campus. Develop or summarize and simplify curriculum materials to facilitate student learning.
Benefits will be prorated for Part-time positions.
1. Provide educational and career planning, assess academic levels, attends student inquiries, resolves individual academic problems, advises on CTE program changes and monitors student progress for CTE degree or certificate completion.
2. Advise and coach CTE students on their career choice and planning and refer them to jobs that match their field of study
3. Provide tutorial assistance related to professional and technical curriculum including Mathematics; and Reading, Writing and Communication
4. Attends college wide CTE Committee meetings
5. Markets CTE program and services to business and industry, K-12 schools. students, faculty and staff through activities such as presentations, and college and agency career fairs.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
– Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
Demonstrated experience working with students with language barriers, disabled students, and students with low basic skills and/or low self-esteem required.
Experience in an educational environment working with students in small groups or individually required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of different learning styles.
Considerable knowledge of ethnic and cultural issues.
Considerable knowledge of curriculum content for professional/technical programs.
Knowledge of available college resources.
Knowledge of assessment, testing, and the interpretation and application of test results.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Ability to work with at-risk and culturally diverse populations.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
Please be prepared to attach a document that briefly describes how you meet the following Preferred Qualifications:
1. Demonstrated commitment to student success through application of holistic, developmental, and personalized advising strategies.
2. Familiarity with veteran benefits and financial aid requirements
3. Knowledge of CTE Industry standards preferably in the areas of Computer Aided Design & Drafting, Aviation, Business, and Computer Applications and Office Systems
4. Experience with a range of spreadsheet applications and Banner
5. Considerable knowledge of and experience practicing inclusive, culturally responsive, and unbiased service delivery.
6. Strong organizational, time management, and task management skills.
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee – scroll down to see “Required Questions” below – (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either “Microsoft Word” or “.pdf” formats.
– Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
– Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
– Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
– This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
– Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
– As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1095388
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://apptrkr.com/1095388 →