Portland State University (PSU) is a thriving campus of 27,000 students in downtown Portland, easily accessible by bike and public transit and surrounded by many restaurants, food carts, parks, and local businesses. PSU is committed to offering opportunity to students from a variety of backgrounds, and prides itself on providing access for low-income and nontraditional students. Our motto to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to finding innovative, sustainable solutions to local and global problems. Our location in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities gives our students unmatched access to career connections and an internationally acclaimed culture scene.
PSU’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) empowers students, faculty, and staff through technology, and has been ranked on the Computerworld Best Places to Work in IT in the nation for three years running. Our number one value is our employees: we support a culture of inclusion, actively encourage a healthy work-life balance, and strive to support our employees professionally and personally. PSU offers an impressive tuition discount and we encourage our staff to take advantage of this, be it for pursuing a degree or personal interest. We are a department of dynamic, engaged, collaborative, and communicative people, and seek to attract more of the same. Read more about why we’re a great place to work at https://www.pdx.edu/oit/employment
Academic Technology Services (ATS) facilitates the use and understanding of technology to connect the PSU campus to the best IT solutions. Our support teams are the first stop for tens of thousands of campus community members in need of technology assistance each year. ATS also has specialized teams who work on the design, planning, deployment, and administration of core academic platforms, numerous business-unit specific applications, and all of the technology-enhanced learning classrooms and labs on campus. ATS consists of the University’s:
- Central IT Helpdesk
- Academic & Business Application Services
- Computer Labs and Classrooms
- IT Accessibility Services
- AV Events Management
- Lecture Capture
- IT Content and Communications
The role of an Audio Visual Events Consultant is to facilitate outstanding, engaging, and seamless AV services to on-campus events. You and the AV Events team will work with campus partners and external clients to strategize, implement, and produce a wide variety of events at exciting locations including our sports arena, classrooms, ballroom, auditoriums, conference rooms, and hotel. From small, student-run meetings to production services for internationally renowned speakers: you’ll be part of the team that makes these experiences come to life.
A day in the life of an AV Events Consultant:
Your day begins with collaborating with your team to assign staff and student workers with events happening across campus. Your first stop in the ballroom has you offering equipment coaching to several student workers, before you settle in as the primary technical operator at the hotel’s conference center. Once you’ve dialed in the sound and lighting, you catch up on email to correspond with customers to elicit requirements to create a quote for an upcoming departmental donor event. Later in the day, you join the team’s weekly planning meeting with our key partner, Conference & Event Services, to calibrate the next few week’s docket. Next, you send a status check to the team via Slack to ensure the day’s events are going to plan. A new technician has a question about a piece of equipment and you link them to documentation prepared previously for the equipment in question. Last, you review the schedule to double-check that all events have technicians assigned to them before wishing the team a good evening.
Summary of Position Duties
*Event Planning and Coordination 35%: Coordinate with internal and external clients to conduct need analysis, build and provide event support quotes, recommend and schedule equipment appropriate to each event, schedule technicians for events, process billing, and perform follow-up to ensure client satisfaction.
*Event Support 20%: Provide in-person onsite event setup, and breakdown. Support and operate audio, video, and lighting equipment during events, troubleshoot equipment issues during events, and coordinate with clients and colleagues to ensure event success.
*Team Training and Mentorship 15%: Assist in the hiring, training, and coaching of AV Events student employees. Generate support documentation and serve as a technical and escalation resource for students.
*Video Capture and Production 15%: Use AV Events equipment and software to capture client events, and provide live-stream and post-produced video per client requirements.
*Equipment Management 10%: Help to ensure that the AV Events equipment fleet is in good order. Research replacement or new needed equipment, and provide purchasing recommendations.
*Other 5%: Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Requirements
* 2+ years of large scale event support, or Bachelors degree in a related field
* Operational knowledge of event sound systems, projection, and lighting
* Experience providing support for events using audio-visual equipment
* Flexibility in scheduling to cover day and evening events
– Professional experience as a sound engineer, rigger, or similar live production job
– Videography experience, such as camera operation, shot construction, sound capture, live event streaming, and/or video post-production
– Experience working in a college/university environment
– Experience leading teams of event support employees
– Previous work soliciting requirements, providing quotes, and billing clients for services
– Professional experience demonstrating a high level of personal time management
We ask our employees and applicants (that’s you!) to align with our OIT Attributes for Success
– Coaching: you appropriately give, accept, and incorporate feedback from others.
– Communication: you exchange information and ideas well, verbally and in writing; communication is an essential tool for productivity and strong working relationships in OIT.
– Emotional Intelligence: you possess the capacity to be aware of, manage, and express your emotions; you handle interpersonal relationships with empathy and safety, enabling diverse types of people to work together.
– Proactive: you recognize and initiate opportunities to take action and prevent potential problems or threats.
– Teamwork: you identify with the larger organizational team and your role within it; you share resources, respond to requests, and support our organizational strategy.
Key Cultural Competencies
– Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
– Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
– Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
– Adheres to all PSU policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
The starting salary rate for this position will be between $21.64 and $26.44/hr with an excellent benefits package including 95% employer paid premiums (employees and eligible dependents) and significantly reduced tuition rates for employee and eligible dependents at any of the Oregon Public Universities. After completing six full months employees are eligible to choose between our two employer paid pension programs in addition to two voluntary retirement programs. Wellness options include access to the PSU rec center at a reduced rate and free wellness programs. For a comprehensive view of all PSU benefits, visit the PSU Total Compensation Calculator page (https://www.pdx.edu/hr/psu-total-compensation-calculator).
If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position or once you receive a position with Portland State University, please call 503-725-4926 or email ude.xdpnull@crhksa.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/31119 →