Powell’s Books, the nation’s top independent bookseller and international tourist destination, is looking for a Lead Cashier to join the team at our flagship location, Powell’s City of Books in downtown Portland!
Lead Cashiers are responsible for understanding, upholding, and promoting Powell’s customer service standards and cashiering procedures. They demonstrate self-direction, model exceptional customer service, and serve as leaders on the cashiering team. This position serves as a resource to other store staff and new cashiers regarding policies and procedures. Individuals in this position demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, initiative, and responsibility.
A desirable candidate will have:
• Mastery of cashiering best practices and procedures.
• Demonstrated excellent customer service skills. Bookstore, retail, restaurant, or barista experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated high-volume cashiering, data entry, and/or computer skills.
• Leadership skills to lead, train, and mentor.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to multitask while maintaining focus on excellent customer service, high security awareness, and attention to detail.
• Love of books and reading.
The exact schedule is to be determined and will include at least one weekend day. Powell’s City of Books is open from 9am – 10pm, 365 days a year.
The schedule will be regular (won’t change from week to week). We don’t have ‘clopens’ and closing shifts really do end when they are scheduled to (no staying late to clean up, etc.).
The wage for this position begins at $15.75 per hour, depending on experience.
Powell’s offers a premium benefit package including top of the line healthcare, education, and childcare benefits, transportation subsidy, 401(k) plan, a generous discount on merchandise, and other perks!
to view the full job description and submit your online application.
Please include a cover letter with your application describing why you’re interested in the position and highlight past experience you feel makes you a strong candidate.
The closing date for this position is Saturday, October 12th.
Powell’s Books is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=POWELLS&cws=39&rid=1050 →