SUPERVISOR: Programs Director
ACCOUNTABLE TO: President and Chief Executive Officer
Shift Hours: This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., may require occasional late hours.
SCOPE: The Urban League of Portland mission is to help empower African American’s and others to achieve equality in education, employment and economic security. The Program and Accounting Assistant will assist with daily financial and administrative activities and provide overall operational support to the health and housing programs. Provide overall support to the organization by ensuring that internal processes are efficient, current and followed. The individual hired for this position will adhere to all of the Urban League of Portland’s policies and support the goals of the Organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Contributes to the Urban League’s mission, commitments, goals, and to the team effort by performing the following duties with a high level of integrity and professionalism:
Program Assistant Duties
- Assume responsibility for various clerical and administrative tasks which may include, but not be limited to answering and screening phone calls, copying, filing and making appointments, as needed.
- Assists in preparing internal reports for submission to funders
- Performs typing, filing, reporting, and copying as needed
- Greeting clients and volunteers in a friendly, professional and respectful manner.
- Confirming appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors via Outlook Calendar, phone, email, and as needed.
- Conducting searches to find needed information, using such sources as the Internet.
- Other duties as needed, such as assisting staff with the coordination of special events.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Accounting Assistant Duties
- Records, complies, reconciles and processes monthly rent and utility subsidy payments for Permanent Supportive Housing, Rapid Rehousing, and Short Term Rental Assistance participants
- Maintains current database and paper records of all Urban League Master Leased properties.
- Performs quality control reviews on participant case files funding/ grant compliance and financial accuracy
- Keeps lease records; records lease payments and tracks lease receivables
- Manages move-in, move out issues
- Checks accounting documents for accuracy and completeness, making adjustments when necessary under supervisor’s review
- Assists with the monthly reconciliation of HMIS, Apricot and QuickBooks
- Researchers lost subsidy payments for stop payments and reissues
- May assemble, analyze and audit various accounts and verify payments
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Fundamental understanding of accounting procedures and processes. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks, general understanding of banking procedures and related activities.
- Supports accounting operations by filing documents; preparing Accounts Payable (AP), Accounts Receivable (AR)
- Ability to manage and meet goals from a fiscal management perspective.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent writing, speaking and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and accurately with close attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required for special events.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- Creative, result-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, and able to manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Minimum two year Associates college degree, or equivalent experience
- Experience with general business operations, accounting, banking, insurance and the benefits process
- Administrative support experience
- Basic computer experience using Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- 2+ years of related work experience
- Experience working with a community based non-profit organization
How to apply: The Urban League is always looking for qualified, committed people, who are interested in helping others and in building a stronger community. If you would like to be a member of the Urban League of Portland team, please submit your resume and a cover letter that specially highlights your experience and qualifications to gro.xdplunull@tnemtiurcer.
About the Urban League of Portland: Established in 1945, the Urban League of Portland is one of the oldest African American service, civil rights and advocacy organizations in the region. We are part of a network of over 90 National Urban League Affiliates across the country and are recognized as one of the leading voices for African Americans and others in Oregon and Southwest. We are a key coalition-builder amongst other organizations, and work extensively with both traditional and emerging groups, the faith-based community, businesses, and other organizations, including those serving immigrants and refugees. The Urban League of Portland’s mission is to empower African Americans and others to achieve equality in education, employment, health, economic security and quality of life. Our programs include a distinctive blend of direct services, organizing, outreach, and advocacy. We offer workforce services, community health services, summer youth programming, senior services, meaningful civic engagement opportunities, and powerful advocacy.
Equal Opportunity Statement: The Urban League of Portland is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
COMPENSATION: Begins at $16 per hour, depending on relevant skills and experience.