Reed College seeks a warm, capable, and astute person to be our Assistant Dean or Senior Assistant Dean of Admission. The Assistant Dean or Senior Assistant Dean has primary responsibility for the recruitment of incoming students. This role reports to the Director of Admission.
This is a full-time position. The work week at Reed College is 37.5 hours, and hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Work schedule includes approximately seven weeks of travel each year and some night and weekend work. Starting salary is $45,000 to $51,000.
Reed College offers an exceptionalbenefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer and many other campus amenities, such as library borrowing privileges, membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse, and discounted TriMet bus passes.
WHO YOU ARE
● You are adept at working with others who are different from you, as our prospective students come from a vast spectrum of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
● You are energized by talking to young adults and their families. In general, you love talking and connecting.
● You enjoy working in an environment that’s committed to continuous improvement, even if it means that things change often. You enjoy a dynamic work environment.
● You enjoy public speaking, but you are the kind of person who does all the behind-the-scenes work well, too.
● You always meet your deadlines.
● You excel at simultaneously managing complex projects and interpreting data.
● You respond well to feedback and are eager to grow professionally.
● Through your lived experience or your work, you would contribute an important aspect of diversity to our team.
● You prefer a team environment at work, rather than working alone.
● You are an optimistic person and work individually and collaboratively to solve problems as they arise.
● You already know that you love the work of college admission. You keep up with the people and the industry. You read the journals and the blogs.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Manage admission activities within an assigned territory, traveling and representing Reed to prospective students, their parents, and high school counselors.
● Conduct on-campus recruiting activities such as information sessions and interviews.
● Build relationships with families and constituents who demonstrate an interest in Reed.
● Manage a functional area of the admission process like programming or overseeing student workers.
● During reading season each spring, you and your colleagues will have the primary task of reading and evaluating college applications. This requires discipline, self-motivation, and focus. Careful and close reading of college applications is the most important aspect of our profession.
● A bachelor’s degree.
● Two to five years’ experience working in admission, financial aid, or an industry that provides intuitive support to its constituents. This may include work as a student employee.
● A superior ability to authentically connect with others.
● A valid driver’s license.
Please follow the application URL to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
● What draws you to college admission, and why specifically are you interested in working at Reed College?
● Share a professional accomplishment of which you are particularly proud.
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
● If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.interfolio.com/59322 →