Reed College seeks a dynamic Executive Director of Development and Campaign Director. This role reports to the Vice President for College Relations and is a member of the group’s leadership team. This is a rewarding position–you’ll work with dynamic and talented people with big ideas–but also one with significant responsibility for fundraising for Reed.
The Executive Director of Development and Campaign Director leads efforts to develop support and donations of $100,000 and more from individuals and organizations. The Director will lead an experienced and well-trained staff of twelve to develop major and planned gifts, corporate and foundation support, and donor relations. The role is more focused than similar roles at other institutions, reflecting the importance of this sector of giving and level of support for funding the college’s operations.
The Director will also direct operations for a major forthcoming campaign, likely to be in the $300 million range. Partnering with the Office of the President, Director of Principal Gifts and the Vice President for College Relations, your work will include the important effort to fully engage the college’s thirty-plus member board of trustees in this fundraising effort. This group’s philanthropy has led all Reed campaigns, including more than $50 million contributed to the college’s Centennial Campaign.
Further, this position would aim to develop a core of volunteers and activities that would support both the campaign and long-term development of leading prospective donors. In the past, the college has seen great interest in such opportunities from prospective donors whether alumni, parents or friends of the institution. These engagements are critical to the development of a strong pipeline of future members of Reed’s board of trustees.
The Director would join the senior team in College Relations which includes the head of communications, the head of alumni affairs and annual fund, the head of career services and the head of college relations information services. This is a strong and experienced team with a broad purview of responsibilities in the college.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, paid holidays, paid vacation (22 days per year) and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse. Relocation assistance is available.
WHO YOU ARE
- As a development professional, you have high expectations not only for yourself, but also for your organization and your coworkers.
- You possess a team-oriented, collegial working style in which colleagues are valued and appreciated at all levels of the organization.
- You have a keen innate ability to motivate staff, volunteers, and donors.
- You have relentless perseverance and you know how to set goals and realistic benchmarks to measure success.
- You have impeccable integrity and judgment.
- You have a wide range of interpersonal skills and are a good listener.
- You are passionate about higher education and you love the work of development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least eight years fundraising experience
- Experience working in one of the leadership roles on a significant fundraising campaign
- Experience managing a team of direct reports
- Experience working in higher education is a plus
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and managing volunteers, so as to help deepen their involvement with the organization
- Demonstrated success in partnering with the president and the board to solicit gifts
- Willingness to travel several times per month to meet with board members, donors and prospective donors.
Follow the link accompanying this posting to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How does this position align with your professional goals?
- What accomplishments in your recent professional experience are you most proud of?
- As all members of Reed’s community are expected to contribute to our diverse and inclusive campus, how might you use your background, education, or experience to contribute to diversity at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so you are encouraged to apply early. This position will remain open until we extend a job offer and it’s accepted.
Reed replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.interfolio.com/46569 →