Reed College seeks a talented communications professional to serve as Communications Manager in our Alumni Programs and Annual Fund group. The Communications Manager is responsible for understanding the department’s goals and developing a strategic communications plan to help achieve these goals. This role reports to the Senior Director of Annual Fund and Alumni Programs. This role oversees the work of two full-time staff members in the department. This is a fun job–you’ll work with interesting and talented people and ideas–but it is also a role with significant responsibility.
This is a full-time, salaried role with a regular work schedule of 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. However, as with most roles in fundraising organizations, some evening and weekend hours will be required. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted Trimet transit passes.
WHO YOU ARE
- Attention to detail is one of your hallmarks. You sweat the details.
- You enjoy managing a large portfolio of projects and working on multiple projects simultaneously, rather than one at a time.
- You set planning deadlines for yourself and others and you always meet them. You don’t need others to motivate you to get your work done on time. Sometimes you even complete your work early.
- One of your talents is translating dense content into plain language. You are able to synthesize feedback from many people to develop concise communication and solicitation pieces that meet departmental goals.
- You understand direct marketing fundraising and value the role that philanthropy plays in higher education.
- Copy editing is fun. You appreciate a thoughtful and thorough style guide.
- You’re a talented writer and a gifted project manager.
- In your past roles, you have been able to collaborate harmoniously with diverse creative and technical teams.
- You prefer a team environment rather than working alone.
- Understand Reed’s alumni engagement and donor goals and develop a strategic communications plan based on these goals.
- Plan and oversee marketing strategies for alumni engagement and solicitations. Includes print materials; direct mail; email; website; social media; events; and a communications calendar.
- Manage a team responsible for soliciting gifts via mail, email, crowdfunding, and phonathon.
- Partner with public affairs office in the review of existing materials and work closely to concept and develop new materials.
- Contribute creative, innovative, and technologically savvy ideas to the development of alumni engagement communications and solicitations.
- Work collaboratively with a wide swath of partners across the Reed community, including development, public affairs, college relations information systems, faculty, alumni, and the Center for Life Beyond Reed.
- Evaluate and share outcomes of engagement and solicitation communications using metrics and data collection tools.
- Five years’ recent experience working in a communications role, with at least three years’ experience developing philanthropic solicitations.
- Experience in alumni solicitation and engagement preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current higher education solicitation and engagement best practices.
- Management experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Click the accompanying link to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to open a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these in any format, but .pdf works best.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so you are encouraged to apply early. This position will remain open until we extend a job offer and it’s accepted.
Reed replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.interfolio.com/50079 →