Reed College seeks a capable and creative person to be our next Design Director. The Design Director elevates and differentiates the Reed brand through design of print collateral, websites, email, and video. This role reports to the Executive Director of Public Affairs and is a member of the group’s leadership team. This is a fun job–you’ll work with talented people, events, and ideas–but also one with significant responsibility for the Reed brand.
This is full-time role with managerial responsibilities. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees’ children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and access to onsite daycare provided by Growing Seeds.
Salary for this position is $68,000 per year.
WHO YOU ARE
- You’re a creative who is able to clearly articulate your ideas to others
- You love solving complex communications issues visually
- You look at work from the point of view of various audiences and examine how design will be perceived so that you’re sure it conveys the desired message
- You give feedback in a way that’s thoughtful and helpful and you’re good at receiving feedback.
- You meet your deadlines
- You’ve been commended for your outstanding skills in organizing and prioritizing work
- You have experience using project management programs to collaborate with other project members.
- You have thorough knowledge of print production (i.e. determining formats, writing specs, requesting estimates, communicating with printers and prepress, press checks)
- You prefer a team environment at work, rather than working alone
- You’re a continual learner—You read the blogs, watch videos, and take the classes to keep up
- Develop original and fresh creative that fits into the college’s brand.
- Work closely with internal clients in admission, student services, and fundraising to develop their external communications.
- Use storyboards, user flows, wireframes, process flows, and sitemaps to communicate design ideas.
- Manage a large portfolio of projects.
- Supervise the work of Reed’s graphic designer and the art director for Reed Magazine. Manage relationships with creative freelancers such as illustrators, photographers and videographers.
- Educate internal partners in the development of successful marketing and branding and its benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least eight year’s work experience in graphic design, art direction, or a related field
- Expert level skills in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) on a Mac platform
Proficiency in writing HTML and using CSS
- Video production experience
- Experience directly managing the work of another employee is a plus
Click the button below to apply. A resume and cover letter are required. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How does this position align with your professional goals?
- As all members of Reed’s community are expected to contribute to our diverse and inclusive campus, how you might use your background, education, or experience to contribute to diversity at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so you are encouraged to apply early. This position will remain open until we extend a job offer and it’s accepted.
Reed replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.interfolio.com/42790 →