Reed College seeks a capable and detail-oriented event planning professional to be our Associate Director for events on our Alumni Programs and Annual Fund team. The Associate Director is responsible for a wide variety of events ranging from small meetings to large signature events such as Reunions for 1,000+ people. This role reports to the Senior Director of Annual Fund and Alumni Programs. This is a fun job—you’ll work with interesting people, events, and ideas—but it is also a role with significant responsibility.
This is full-time, salaried role with a regular work schedule of 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. However, as with most event planning roles, some evening and weekend hours will be required, at least monthly. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse, and discounted Trimet transit passes.
WHO YOU ARE
- You love strategic project management and sweating the details.
- Even though you’re sweating the details, you get along with absolutely everyone.
- You are one of the best planners you know. You have back up systems to make sure nothing is forgotten.
- You know and use current best practices for planning your events.
- You love technology, and in fact, you could not do your job without it. It’s your best friend, not a foe.
- You set planning deadlines for yourself and and others and you always meet them. You don’t need others to motivate you to get your work done on time. Sometimes you even complete your work early.
- You are a strong production manager who is able to keep colleagues engaged and invested in deadlines.
- You’ve been commended at work for your outstanding skills in organizing and prioritizing work tasks.
- You have managed complex events involving many different clients.
- You’re flexible and don’t get rattled when last minute changes inevitably happen.
- You have experience using project management systems to collaborate with other project members.
- You maintain a high level of professionalism and you’re cool under fire.
- You have customer service experience.
- You contribute an important aspect of diversity to your teams.
- You work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- You know that a career in event planning requires some evening and weekend work and you and your family are okay with that.
- Serve as project manager for alumni and fundraising events such as Reunions, volunteer weekend, and the alumni holiday party.
- Work closely with program managers to develop priorities and plans.
- Contribute innovative and technologically savvy ideas for the development and implementation of alumni events.
- Collaborate closely with partners in the department, as well as Reed’s Conference and Events Planning team.
- With the department’s Communications Manager, develop and execute event marketing plans to achieve target attendance.
- Articulate the importance of events in achieving the department’s goals to increase engagement and steward donors.
- Manage the event budgets.
- Develop metrics to analyze ROI and success of events.
- Hire and supervise a part-time, temporary employee during Reunions.
- Manage student workers during events.
- Five years’ recent experience working as a full-time Events Planner or in a role where event planning was the central focus.
- Experience using project management and event management software.
- Experience working with fundraising is preferred.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs, have a valid driver’s license, and be able to work evening and weekend hours.
Click the application link to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to open a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these in any format, but .pdf works best.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so you are encouraged to apply early. This position will remain open until we extend a job offer and it’s accepted.
Reed replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.interfolio.com/50080 →