TITLE: Catalytic Investment Initiative Director
HOURS: 40 hours/week Monday-Friday, Occasional Evenings/Weekends
BENEFITS: Employer-paid Health/Dental; Retirement Match; Generous Paid Time Off
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
- Relational and enjoy building meaningful relationships with diverse people and groups?
- Collaborative with a desire to participate in and lead a team?
- Passionate about helping others grow professionally and accomplish their goals?
- Excited about a dynamic work environment that embraces creativity and innovation?
- Inspired by Portland, local small businesses, and advocacy?
- An experienced manager with exceptional interpersonal skills?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want to talk with you!
Venture Portland’s Catalytic Investment Initiative Director must be passionate about Portland and its unique neighborhood business districts. The ideal candidate is a highly skilled supervisor; creative strategic thinker; successful multi-tasker capable of juggling time-sensitive priorities; detail-oriented program manager; spreadsheet master; customer service pro and innovative team-player focused on getting the job done brilliantly. The Catalytic Investment Initiative Director must be a highly motivated, responsible, solutions-oriented people-person capable of managing a team of professionals working in and for multiple business districts. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organization, computer fluency, flexibility, a great sense of humor and commitment to Venture Portland’s mission/values.
Launched in 2015, the Catalytic Investment Initiative (CII) provides in-depth, personalized assistance, including professional staffing, to business districts city wide. Initially focused on supporting historically underserved districts in East/North Portland facing gentrification and displacement pressures, the Initiative has doubled in scale, now serving 13 districts city wide. By focusing on inclusive membership growth, development of new leaders that reflect the diverse community they serve and creative district-specific events that make cash registers ring, the Initiative strengthens and promotes participating neighborhood business districts.
Since 1986, Venture Portland has supported Portland’s 50 unique and thriving neighborhood business districts, which together contain 19,000 businesses (98% of which have five or fewer employees) and provide 270,000 jobs. Through grants, training and promotion, Venture Portland invests in the smart, strategic growth of these critical commercial corridors.
The Catalytic Investment Initiative Director works with the Executive Director and the rest of Venture Portland team to manage the robust Catalytic Investment Initiative, meet City of Portland contract requirements and build the capacity of Portland’s neighborhood business districts.
- Manage Catalytic Investment Initiative (CII)
- Personnel – supervise professional District Organizers (currently 7) who have direct responsibility for executing business district work plans (currently 13). Facilitate weekly Organizer meetings (group and one-on-one) and ensure appropriate professional development. Manage relationships with CII district boards and facilitate formal monthly Supervision meetings with Organizers and district presidents. Maintain a consistent and positive presence in districts. Provide excellent customer service and ensure ongoing scalability of this fast-growing program.
- Program –track and manage all Initiative requirements, deliverables and finances and produce required reports. Manage staffing contracts and generate program revenue. Maintain strong relations with funders and partners; ensure Catalytic Investment Initiative success. Work closely with Communications and Member Services Director to provide individualized, high-touch service and support to CII districts. Work with Member Services Director and Data Administrator to ensure effective data tracking, analyze outcomes and impact (qualitative and quantitative) of Catalytic Investment Initiative and produce timely and accurate program and financial reports.
- Champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – lead CII district Diversity Benchmarking; develop and implement DEI best practices and increase engagement with diverse constituents; recommend leadership/membership development strategies based on district demographic trends.
- Support Venture Portland’s Strategic Priorities – ensure Catalytic Investment Initiative and all other programs build business district capacity, promote districts and advocate on their behalf.
- Explore Business Districts – spend time ‘in the field’ to understand unique needs of neighborhood business districts and design appropriate trainings and materials.
- Attend Venture Portland Board meetings – present capacity building programs to increase utilization.
- Assist Executive Director with all other duties as requested.
Passion for Portland’s neighborhood businesses and business districts and commitment to Venture Portland’s mission and values
At least 8 years personnel management and/or supervision experience
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including ability to work independently, as a team player and with diverse constituents; comfort working one-on-one and in small groups
Excellent communication skills including public speaking, material production/writing, editing and proofreading; comfort with direct communication and proven experience with de-escalation and conflict resolution; proven training expertise; second language proficiency a plus
Ability to problem-solve, iterate and innovate; strong interest in creating your job on a daily basis
Demonstrated ability to inspire others to action; proven community organizing experience
Proven ability to set priorities and work efficiently and effectively in a frequently business and deadline-driven environment
Proven computer skills including in-depth knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Office and QuickBooks; experience working with relational databases, WordPress, PowerPoint and design software a plus
Flexible schedule to work occasional early mornings, nights and weekends
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Venture Portland is an Equal Opportunity Employer. East/North Portland residents, people of color and people with second language proficiency are encouraged to apply.
Submit a compelling cover letter outlining your passion for, and fit with, the position. Please also provide a complete chronological resume and the names and contact information for three references to gro.dnaltroperutnevnull@sboj with “Catalytic Investment Initiative Manager” in the subject line no later than Wednesday, 9/18/19 at 5:00pm.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org