The Vice President (VP) of the Urban League of Portland is a full-time position that reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer. The VP will be responsible for managing an exciting portfolio across the organization. The position is ideal for an experienced professional who desires to lead a non-profit, community-based organization with a powerful reputation in this region. In addition to experienced non-profit leader applicants, the right candidate may have a social services, philanthropic foundation, for-profit corporate, military or local government employment history. She or he will have a heart for organizing, solving problems, and helping others to fulfill their potential. The VP must be committed to the empowerment of Black communities across Oregon and Southwest Washington.
The VP will manage internal functions at the Urban League and develop new approaches in response to changing programs, services, and needs of the community. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing all planning, organizing, operating and staffing of programs with a focus on a client base that is predominantly Black and of the African Diaspora, including African- and Caribbean immigrants. Working with the CEO and finance staff, the VP will plan and oversee departmental budgets. The Program Directors, Fundraising Manager, Communications Coordinator, Consultants and Contractors will report to the VP. She or he must be available to travel throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington as business requires. Occasional national travel will also be expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supporting the CEO’s vision for the Urban League’s sustainability and growth.
- Leading the organization as Vice President by accepting responsibility for overseeing administrative operations, facilities, fundraising, communications, and personnel.
- Leading a team of program directors and managers to further recruitment, train, and retain excellent personnel.
- Speaking at various partnership- and funder events representing the Urban League.
- Providing programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the CEO, and executive leadership team.
- Ensuring the organization’s mission is consistently executed throughout the business.
- Focusing on proper allocation of resources to maintain sound fiscal management.
- Ensuring the implementation of training and development of programs necessary to achieve the organization’s goals and mission, and to support staff learning goals.
- Fostering a climate that will attract, motivate and retain top-quality personnel.
- Supervising program analysis, data collection and evaluation.
- Providing budgeting expertise in the grants and contracts application process.
- Providing leadership and fiscal direction for all budget managers, helping them to further develop their own skillset.
- Serving as a leading member of Executive Team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. An advanced degree or certification is preferred, however, experience directly related to the job duties may be considered.
- Managerial or executive experience with responsibility for budget, hiring, and personnel supervision.
- Experience with culturally-specific programs and African American community engagement. Some experience with Black immigrant and/or Spanish-speaking communities preferred.
- Understanding of non-profit business operations, funding sources, and reporting requirements.
- Proven ability to effectively supervise, train and support staff and volunteers.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively interact with people of various age, gender, sexual orientation, religious, language, physical ability, culture, or economic status.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Paid medical and dental insurance for employee only at employer’s expense
- Paid vacation leave
- Free reserved parking
- SIMPLE IRA with automatic employer contribution
- Paid professional development and/or continuing education opportunities
- National Urban League affiliate training and professional network
How to apply: The Urban League is always looking for qualified, committed people, who are interested in helping others and in building a stronger community. If you would like to be a member of the Urban League of Portland team, please submit your resume and a cover letter that specially highlights your experience and qualifications to: gro.xdplunull@tnemtiurceR and provide the job title that you are applying for in the subject line.
About the Urban League of Portland: Established in 1945, the Urban League of Portland is one of the oldest African American service, civil rights and advocacy organizations in the region. We are part of a network of over 80 National Urban League Affiliates across the country and are recognized as one of the leading voices for African Americans and others in Oregon and Southwest Washington. We are a key coalition-builder among other organizations, and work extensively with both traditional and emerging groups, the faith-based community, businesses, and other organizations, including those serving immigrants and refugees. The Urban League of Portland’s mission is to empower African Americans and others to achieve equality in education, employment, health, economic security and quality of life. Our programs include a distinctive blend of direct services, organizing, outreach, and advocacy. We offer workforce services, community health services, summer youth programming, senior services, meaningful civic engagement opportunities, and powerful advocacy.
The Urban League of Portland is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com