Position title: Field Organizer
Reports to: Director of Advocacy and Public Policy
Hours and Compensation: .5 FTE (20 hours per week)
$16.50 – $18.00 per hour
The Urban League of Portland is looking for a motivated, creative, and organized Field Organizer to develop and meet organizing goals towards building power, voice and leadership within the African American/Black community in Oregon to advance racial and social justice. The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, self-starter able to work independently and collectively within a team.
The Field Organizer is responsible for organizing efforts around all of the Urban League Advocacy & Civic Engagement Department’s priority campaigns in coordination with the Organizing Team, with their focus in 2014-2015 on our Jobs and Economic Justice campaigns and our Basebuilding program. The position may involve travel in the city and throughout the state; and involves regular evening and weekend hours.
- Work closely with Urban League’s Organizing Coordinator and ACE Director to develop and implement African American/Black community leadership, vision and engagement on jobs and economic justice; and strategies guided by the State of Black Oregon 2014.
- Work with Urban League’s emerging leaders, volunteers to develop at least 12 community gatherings in Portland, East County and statewide over the next year,
- Help devise and implement organizing strategies to achieve the ACE Department’s other campaign and project goals;
- Identify and recruit new Urban League members and community leaders, support leadership development of Urban League members, leaders, volunteers, and interns;
- Maintain close relationships with coalition partners, public officials, small business allies, and constituencies around the state, as needed;
- Work with a diverse group of individuals and partners,
- Maintain administrative functions, including the relevant areas of the web site, database, reimbursements, budgets, shared calendars and project planning.
- Support grassroots fundraising for memberships
- Support the Urban League’s communication work by periodically writing a blog post, social media networking, sharing photos or videos, and offering input into public materials.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The Field Organizer will have:
- Successful track record of at least 1 year in community or labor organizing (particularly in African American/Black communities),
- Deep commitment to and vision for The Urban League of Portland’s mission and strategic plan
- The capacity to create and independently move forward a complex agenda with supervision and in a team
- Ability to identify, set priorities, and work plan; and move teams of volunteers in line with our goals and strategic direction
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) with ability to connect across multiple audiences
- Respect for and demonstrated experience working with African American/Black community members, organizations and activists
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience.
Special Job Requirements:
Have own vehicle with valid Driver’s License, registration, and insurance that can reliably travel throughout Oregon, sometimes on short notice. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as needed.
The following are a plus, but not requirements:
- Experience with education advocacy, legislative, electoral, and/or statewide organizing strongly preferred.
The Field Organizer regularly uses a computer/phone, walks, bends, and climbs stairs.
Send your resume and cover letter to Director of Advocacy and Public Policy, Midge Purcell at gro.xdplunull@llecrupm or by mail at 10 N Russell St, Portland OR 97227.