We’re looking for an Organizing Director to join our team.
The Urban League of Portland is looking for an experienced, motivated individual to join a talented team of organizers to build grassroots power in African American/Black communities to advance racial and social justice. The ideal candidate has strong racial justice movement building background, is results oriented, works well in teams, and has at least three years of substantial organizing experience. The position coordinates campaign and field organizers, project associates and lead volunteers.
The Organizing Director is responsible for providing overall leadership in the development of a vibrant grassroots organizing and leadership development program, civic engagement and campaign management. The Organizing Director will work with the Policy Director and President and CEO to align our local organizing projects and campaigns to have statewide impact and advance our policy direction.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in grassroots organizing in African American/Black communities, campaign and political strategy, team building; a passion for racial and social justice; and experience aligning statewide and local community organizing strategies for statewide impact. The ideal candidate is someone who is an experienced organizer who can develop and manage multiple organizing projects, is excited to forge statewide impact, and wants to grow their organizational leadership. The position holder is expected to have a high degree of flexibility, the capacity to adapt to changes in the environment, and communicate closely with co-workers to ensure work plans and activities work together effectively.
The Organizing Director will be responsible for the following:
Organizing and Recruitment program to expand our grassroots membership base.
- Developing volunteer engagement and leadership development programs
- Creating and adapting training curriculum, conducting trainings, facilitating leadership programs, and integrating training with larger organizational goals
Campaign and Coalition Building
- Leading local, regional and statewide issue organizing strategies
- Developing and implementing civic engagement, communications and campaign plans for members and partners, including developing work plans guided by the State of Black Oregon policy agenda, to win campaigns and policy priorities
- Strategic big picture work planning to anticipate and respond to challenges and opportunities
- Systematically develop and support lead organizers to take increasing responsibilities in the strategies above
- Develop organizing staff development training and individual staff development plans to help build organizers strategic, coalition building, and organizing skills
- Providing in-the-field staff development support of leads and organizers
- Coordinating with colleagues to move the ACE Department’s strategic plan forward and to anticipate and respond to internal and external opportunities and challenges
- Providing strong leadership and accountability to engage staff and grassroots leaders in membership building and volunteer engagement
The Organizing Director will have:
- Successful track record of at least 3 years in community or labor organizing (African American/Black , low income communities), including experience in leading issue campaigns
- Two or more years’ experience and demonstrated skill in leadership development curriculum and training
- Deep commitment to and vision for The Urban League’s mission and State of Black Oregon strategic plan
- Ability to identify, set priorities, work plan and move teams of staff and volunteers in line with our goals and strategic direction
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal); ability to craft effective messaging and use of multiple media
- The ability to work on deadline and maintain close coordination with co-workers and volunteers with minimal supervision, and work well as a team
- Respect for and demonstrated experience working with African American/Black community members, organizations of color and allies
- Good sense of humor and grace under pressure
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience.
The following are a plus, but not requirements:
- Experience with legislative, electoral, and/or statewide organizing strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with the Voter Activation Network
- Proficiency with membership data systems