Information for Employers (PDF) Information for Job Seekers (PDF)
“Information for Job Seekers” pdf brochure attached at the top
Out of work and looking for work? Consider working in the tech industry! The Urban Tech Jobs Program (UTJP) is an accelerated technology training program that is designed specifically for unemployed adults.
Why work in the tech field?
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) jobs have the highest earnings projections, highest job growth, and lowest unemployment rate of any industry. According to the US Department of Commerce:
- STEM jobs earn more than 26% more than other career paths
- STEM job growth projection is estimated to increase by 17%
This program is made possible through a grant from the US Department of Labor to serve a specific group of citizens; therefore, not everyone who applies to UTJP is eligible for its services. For this reason, the Urban League must screen all applicants to be sure they meet the eligibility requirements set forth by the Department of Labor grant.
There are three (3) immediate qualifiers that applicants must meet in order to be enrolled in UTJP, they are based on age, unemployment status, and minimum education aptitude.
The UTJP is available only for those applicants who are over the age of 18. Proof of age will be required and documented during the enrollment process.
2. Unemployment Status
UTJP is exclusively designed for those who have struggled to return to the workforce. Therefore, the enrollment process requires that applicants demonstrate documentation of their unemployment history.
- You meet the unemployment status requirements if:
- Unemployment: You lost your job during or after December 2007 and are currently unemployed.
- Unemployment: unemployed for up to 26 consecutive weeks.
- Long Term Unemployment: unemployed for 27 consecutive weeks or longer and has exhausted or nearly exhausted their unemployment benefits.
- Underemployment: You lost your job during or after December 2007 and have obtained only episodic, short-term, or part-time employment but have not reconnected with a full-time job.
- You do not meet the unemployment status requirements if you are employed or are a newly hired worker, even if your work hours have been reduced and/or earnings have declined. This status is ineligible to participate in UTJP.
- Acceptable unemployment documentation includes:
- A letter of unemployment benefits from the State Department of Labor.
- Acceptable underemployment documentation is two pay-stubs from current or most recent employer.
3. Education Threshold
One of the ultimate goals of UTJP is to prepare its participants to attain a vocation/certification program and/or enrollment into a higher education institution. The tech training courses are designed for participants with a high school level education; therefore, applicants must possess a minimum education level to be eligible. During the enrollment phase, applicants will be given a Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) or an equivalent. A score in Reading and Math at the 10th Grade is the minimum requirement to be enrolled.
What if I don’t have a background in technology, am I eligible for the Urban Tech Jobs Program?
YES! The Urban Tech Jobs Program is designed to be customizable based on experience and includes technology training that is specific to the background and experience-level of the participant. There is no minimum technical experience for participation in the program.
What is the process for applying to the Urban Tech Jobs Program?
When the program opens, the Urban League will begin accepting applications. This will include a screening to verify that you are eligible for the program. If you would like to be informed when the program opens so you can apply, please email gro.xdplunull@PJTU.
For more information contact: gro.xdplunull@PJTU