Enrollment for this program is: OPEN
The Urban League of Portland’s After School Leadership Program is designed to provide extra academic support to African American and other high school and middle school students through homework clubs, leadership development training, post secondary education workshops, and community service opportunities. The program aims to inspire and motivate youth to: complete their high school education, pursue post secondary education, and become leaders in their community.
* One on one help from tutors from local universities
* Computer and internet access for completion of school assignments
* Learn and implement healthy studying practices
* Coordination with schools to provide in-depth support to youth
* Learn the 5 Core Principles of Leadership: Accountability, Empowerment, Interdependence, Balance and Leverage
* Develop strong interpersonal skills
* Become confident in public speaking
* Write and memorize a personal mission statement
* Will promote personal growth and higher self esteem
* Creates professional experiences and gives youth a competitive edge in college applications, scholarships and jobs.
* Empowers youth to take action and serve their community beyond the provided volunteer opportunities.
* Strengthens the community through service, awareness and visibility
Postsecondary Education Workshops
* Learn about FAFSA, scholarships and student loans
* Practice filling out college applications
* Develop written stories from life experiences for essays
* Testimonials and Q&A from current college students and recent graduates
The High School Program will take place from 4:00pm to 6:30pm on Mondays. Drop in Homework Hours Tuesday 4:00pm to 5:30pm
The Middle School Program will take place from 4:00pm to 6:30pm on Wednesdays. Drop in Homework Hours Thursday 4:00pm to 5:30pm
Where: The Urban League of Portland’s 10 North Russell Street offices.
Youth Program Coordinator